Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Announcing the release of ArubaOS 7.4 for the Mobility Access Switches

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Announcing the release of ArubaOS 7.4 for the Mobility Access Switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 08, 2014 06:56 PM

Hello fellow Airheads,

I have to first confess this message is a bit delayed. I really should have gotten this out sooner but as they say better late than never.

So without further ado, I’m pleased to announce the availability of Aruba OS 7.4 for the Mobility Access Switches! This release has some unique, dare I say, non-traditional switching features as well as some very cool integration features with our other platforms (e.g Access Points). Ready to try it out? Here are the pertinent links you'll need.

User Guide Download: ArubaOS 7.4 User Guide

Release Notes Download: ArubaOS 7.4 Release Notes

Software Downlaod: ArubaOS 7.4.0.0

I think I'm missing something, oh right, here are all the great new features:

Layer 2 and Layer 3

• Static ARP
      • Every now and then you just need a static ARP entry...
    • IGMPv3 Snooping
      • This adds on to our existing support of IGMPv1/v2 Snooping
    • Route Monitoring (aka L3 Interface Monitoring)
      • Remove L3 interface from the routing table based upon ICMP probe status.
    • Route Metrics for DHCP Client enabled L3 interfaces
      • Ability to favor one DHCP enabled uplink over another.

Security Enhancements

• Session ACL on Routed VLAN Interfaces (RVI)
      • Useful for Internet facing links.
    • Deny Inter User Traffic
      • This is supported in hardware to prevent users within the same role (up to 7 user-roles) from communicating.
      • Particularly useful in hospitality when port isolation or private VLAN is required.

Branch Features

• Dynamic DNS Client
      • Currently qualified with no-ip.com, changeip.com & myonlineportal.net.
    • NAT Pools
      • Ever have a need for some 1:1 NAT?
      • Excludes dynamic-srcnat pool, but don't worry. Keep reading...
    • IP NAT Outside
      • For use when there are multiple private side subnets to avoid NATting local to local traffic (aka inter-vlan traffic) and in lieu of dynamic-srcnat pool. Told ya!
    • Site to Site VPN Enhancements
      • Standby/Backup VPN Interface
      • Default Route to VPN
    • Aruba VPN Support (aka Instant VPN)
      • Distributed L3 VPN mode
      • Distributed L3 DHCP Scopes (uses BID to allocate pools just like Instant APs)

Access Point Integration Features

• Device Groups
      • Ability to detect a device via LLDP and change physical port properties, including changing from access to trunk.
      • Initial support will be for Aruba APs and requires that LLDP be enabled.
      • Device Group can also override a Tunneled Node port as long as the TN port can successfully COMPLETE at which point the MAS sees the LLDP messages from the AP and overrides the port configuration.
    • Configurable Rogue Containment Options
      • Currently if an Instant AP sends a MAS blacklist information, we shutdown the port including PoE if on an Access Port or discard the MAC address if on a Trunk for a period of 5 minutes.This enhancement allows an administrator to have the port stay down or discard indefinitely based upon a configurable auto-recovery time or disable processing the blacklist all together.

Manageability

• Airwave ZTP VPN
      • Activate provides a Mobility Controller IP so MAS can establish a VPN as part of ZTP to reach Airwave to receive it’s configuration.
      • This enables us to be deployed behind NAT devices.
      • AMP 8.0.X supports ArubaOS 7.3.0.0 and below from a configuration standpoint and will ignore this new VPN component (won’t cause mismatch). Post 7.3.0.0 features including 7.4.0.0 configuration elements are planned for a subsequent release of AMP 8. The AMP and MAS teams are working hard on prioritizing the features into AMP as soon as possible.
    • New WebUI Dashboard Items
      • MAC Address Table, VLANs, LLDP/CDP Neighbors table, User Table

New Optics and DAC Support

• DAC support on S1500
      • Will only operate at GbE speed.
    • 10GBASE-ER SFP+
      • 40km over SMF
    • 10GBASE-ZR SFP+
      • 80km over SMF

Got an idea for a feature enhancment? You can submit those here and we'll see what we can do!

Idea Portal

Best regards,

Madani

• 2.  RE: Announcing the release of ArubaOS 7.4 for the Mobility Access Switches

Posted Sep 10, 2014 06:45 AM

Hi

This looks promising. I tried upgrading my S3500 in my lab to this release, but i lost PoE on all ports. I upgraded from 7.3.1.0.

As i understand, and has been pre 7.4, PoE is on by default.

I can see the status for each port telling me that PoE is on, but it will not power my AP's.

I have tried rebooting the switch, creating new PoE profile, but still no luck.

The ports themselves as working as soon as i insert a computer or such.

Will downgrade to 7.3 to get my AP's online.

Roar Fossen

• 3.  RE: Announcing the release of ArubaOS 7.4 for the Mobility Access Switches

Posted Sep 10, 2014 07:20 AM

Update.

Went back to 7.3.1.0, all ports with AP's connected to them are working normally, providing power to the AP.

Upgraded to 7.3.2.1, latest on 7.3.

Everything looks to be allright, PoE is working as it should.

Upgraded to 7.4, now the PoE is working on 7.4.

Maybe there is a problem of upgradeing from 7.3.1.0, or my MAS are playing tricks on me :D

Roar Fossen

• 4.  RE: Announcing the release of ArubaOS 7.4 for the Mobility Access Switches

Posted Nov 27, 2014 04:35 PM

Hi,

Do you know if VRF-lite will be included in future releases?

• 5.  RE: Announcing the release of ArubaOS 7.4 for the Mobility Access Switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 01, 2014 12:34 PM

Armyboy,

It is not committed to any upcoming releases. I would recommend requesting it via our Idea Portal so that we can gauge interest in including it in the future.

https://arubanetworkskb.secure.force.com/cp/ideas/ideaList.apexp

Best regards,

Madani

• 6.  RE: Announcing the release of ArubaOS 7.4 for the Mobility Access Switches

Posted Dec 27, 2014 02:22 PM

Will this be made available under the Lifetime Warranty Software?

• 7.  RE: Announcing the release of ArubaOS 7.4 for the Mobility Access Switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 27, 2014 02:49 PM
    Not sure what you mean. Can you clarify your question?

• 8.  RE: Announcing the release of ArubaOS 7.4 for the Mobility Access Switches

Posted Dec 27, 2014 03:13 PM

Latest Lifetime Warranty Software current shipping release is 7.3.2.0.

Thus I was inquiring when the 7.4 release might be made available under the Lifetime Warranty Software section as the "current shipping release".

I manage the infrastructure for a non-profit which is fortunate enough to have a S2500 at it's core. Unfortunately, they do not have (cannot afford) a support contract.

Thanks!

• 9.  RE: Announcing the release of ArubaOS 7.4 for the Mobility Access Switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 27, 2014 03:19 PM
    h0tw1r3,
    7.4 will be made available as part of the LLW once we start shipping Mobility Access Switches from manufacturing with a 7.4.0.x image. We recently released 7.4.0.1 and are evaluating it as a possible candidate for manufacturing.

Best regards,

Madani