Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 2530 switch - LLDP-MED

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  Aruba 2530 switch - LLDP-MED

Posted Jul 01, 2019 03:56 AM

I have successfully configured VLAN's for voice and data network segregation on my Aruba 2530 series switch, and where this is a fairly simple to setup I am thinking of taking the configuration to another level.

From my experience with network switches of other brands there is a feature called LLDP-MED which exists and is specifically used in VoIP deployments (it seems a common topic in the Aruba forums).

I use Yealink phones on our VoIP Deployments, and they have this useful guide here which references LLDP-MED setup and usage: http://download.support.yealink.com/download?path=ZIjHOJbWuW/DFrGTLnGyplCZDAM2wP01hv6n80IFSrBPKTE7wpUZ6vYnp57RJ8yHOIx5ysNyCoLoWe3b9J0L6q585pTwWVsrfFeBgljNDet1c9PWuIMfclP73gBT3/JsMFa3KMPrYkvt9mQUAfDr6g==

With our prevous network switch vendor we never used this, but I am thinking (at least for our larger customers) there maybe benifit of this feature.

I am keen to understand:

1) Whether it is worth going to the effort of configuring this, do you really get the worth-while benifits from the configuration.

2) A working CLI configuration example specifically for the 2530 model range, there are a tonne of settings on the switch as far as I can see and a lot of the forum guides/posts have conflicting information.

• 2.  RE: Aruba 2530 switch - LLDP-MED
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 01, 2019 04:28 AM

Hi,

To support LLDP-MED  an Aruba-OS switch must have LLDP enabled globally, and it's enabled by default. 

If you need to re-enable then use # lldp run  " commands"

if you want to check switch port transmitting lldp-med TLVs with below command.

# show lldp config >interface>

apart from this, you want to configure the any TLV capabilities for your LLDP-med ports

then you can do capabilities, network policies, location id, Poe parameters.

# lldp config <port>medTLVenable  <above catalogs >

• 3.  RE: Aruba 2530 switch - LLDP-MED

Posted Jul 01, 2019 04:55 AM

With LLDP-MED you can force VOIP phones to use the VOICE VLAN instead of the untagged VLAN. 

The configuration is really simple.

vlan 10

name voice

voice

exit

• 4.  RE: Aruba 2530 switch - LLDP-MED

Posted Jul 01, 2019 06:26 AM

Thanks for the responses, I have done this already:

vlan 10

name voice

voice

exit

But thought there would be additional configuration required for LLDP-MED, is this not the case then ? what about TLV'S ? I read something about profiles being required.

Anymore display and show commands would be great also.

Thanks,

• 5.  RE: Aruba 2530 switch - LLDP-MED
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 01, 2019 02:33 PM

To make LLDP-MED working this is all you need to do.

Profiles are used to apply a specific port profile when a certain device is connected to the switch.

If you want to enable/disable specific TLV's you can use the following command.

config

lldp config <port number> <tlv>

Use the ? to find out which TLV's are available.

To see what is configured.

show lldp config <port number>

For more information check the documentation.