Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 2540-48G Poe and Aruba 2530-48G Poe question

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Aruba 2540-48G Poe and Aruba 2530-48G Poe question

Posted Oct 03, 2020 10:09 AM

Hello,

I was wandering, can those two switches Aruba 2540-48G Poe and Aruba 2530-48G Poe be compatilbe in powering up UAP-AC-LR unifi and UAP-AC-HD unifi?

.) UAP-AC-LR requires 802.3af/A PoE , 24V Passive PoE (Pairs 4, 5+; 7, 8 Return).

.) UAP-AC-HD requires 802.3at PoE+

.) in the datasheet of the aruba 2530-48G I see: Up to 370W PoE+ to power IoT, APs and cameras 

.) in the datasheet of the aruba 2540-48G i see IEEE 802.3at Power over Ethernet (PoE+) provides up to 30 W per port that allows support of the latest PoE+-capable devices such as IP phones, wireless access
    points, and security cameras, as well as any IEEE 802.3af-compliant end device; eliminates the cost of additional electrical
    cabling and circuits that would otherwise be necessary in IP phone and WLAN deployments
    • Pre-standard PoE support
    detects and provides power to pre-standard PoE devices 

Kindest regards for tips

• 2.  RE: Aruba 2540-48G Poe and Aruba 2530-48G Poe question
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 05, 2020 08:26 AM

That should work if your APs are indeed 802.3af (PoE) and 802.3at (PoE+) compliant. For the PoE+ AP, you will need to have a PoE+ switch as well, and I think that all 2530 and 2540 switches that you an buy today are PoE+ capable. With a PoE+ (802.3at) switch you can also power PoE (802.3af) devices as mentioned in the part of the datasheet that you copied.

Please note the concept of PoE power budget, the 370W that you quote. If the AP consumes (or requests at the switch) the full 30W, you can probably power 12 APs at the same time. In most cases that is not an issue as you need to connect other devices as well. But it's unlikely that you can power APs on all 48 ports at the same time, as they request more power in total than available.

Standards wise you should be good.