Wired Intelligent Edge (Campus Switching and Routing)

Highlighted
New Contributor

Aruba 2540 : problem with fiber optic link

Hi,

I meet a problem with a switch Aruba 2540 : It must replace an existing switch (TP-Link) connected with a fiber optic to another building. When I connect the fiber optic to the SFP (J9150D) on the Aruba switch, the link stay down. If I plug on the TP-Link switch, it work. If I plug the fiber optic in a switch Aruba 2530, with the same SFP module, it works !

What's the problem with Aruba 2540 ? It works with 2530 but not 2540 :-(

I use the latest version of Aruba OS, and, I tried another Aruba 2540, the problem is the same. The problem is the same with a transceiver 10G. In the other building, the switch is a TP-Link, I have replace it with an Aruba 2540 for test : the problem persist.

Transceivers TP-Link / Aruba that I used seem to have identical characteristics.

Have you an idea please ?

Regards :)

Frequent Contributor I

Re: Aruba 2540 : problem with fiber optic link

It should be supported if I look in the compatibility guide.

Can you run the command show tech trancievers
MVP Expert

@fl050 wrote: When I connect the fiber optic to the SFP (J9150D) on the Aruba switch, the link stay down. If I plug on the TP-Link switch, it work. If I plug the fiber optic in a switch Aruba 2530, with the same SFP module, it works !

Hi! there is some confusion going on here.

The SKU Part J9150D represents a SFP+ Transceiver (so running at 10Gbps).

Aruba 2540 does indeed support that type of SFP+ Transceivers. It supports SFP Transceivers too...keep in mind that SFP Transceivers run at 1Gbps and, typically, a Short Range SFP Transceiver - also known as SX or SR - supported on both Aruba 2530 and 2540 has SKU equal to J4858C or to J4858D...so, you see, SKUs of SFP versus SFP+ are totally differents.

Another thing to note is that Aruba 2530 doesn't support any SFP+, only SFP ones...so what are you exactly testing? 10Gbps on both ends? 1Gbps on both ends?

What are you exactly using on both ends (Aruba side and TP-Link side)?

New Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for your messages.

In my first post, I reversed the two references (J9050D / J4858D). A summary of my tests : 

FromTransceiver typeToTransceiver typeResult (Link)
2540J4858DTP-Link SwitchTL-SM311LM-v2.0Down
2540J9050DTP-Link SwitchTXM431-SRDown
2540J9050D2540J9050DDown
TP-Link SwitchTL-SM311LM-v2.0TP-Link SwitchTL-SM311LM-v2.0Up
2530J4858DTP-Link SwitchTL-SM311LM-v2.0Up

If I plug the 2540 directly to a switch TP-Link with a short fiber optic cord, it works. By going through the optical fiber between the two buildings, the 2540 does not work. But, it's ok with the 2530 or TP-Link.

For the result of the command "show tech transceivers" :

Cmd Info : show tech transceivers

transceivers

Transceiver Technical Information:
Port # | Type | Prod # | Serial # | Part #
-------+-----------+------------+------------------+----------
51 | 1000SX | J4858D | ******* | 1990-3657
52 | 1000SX | J4858D | ******* | 1990-3657

* third-party transceivershow time
Fri Jun 7 00:05:00 2019

=== The command has completed successfully. ===

Regards.

New Contributor

Hi,

Anyone have an idea ?

Regards.

Regular Contributor I

No cabling issue? tx-rx swapped?

No spanning-tree issue? (bpdu-protection/root-guard) or even loop-protect kicking in?

what do you see in the log when you connect the sfp?

show log -r

Or live logbuffer view:

debug event

debug des ses

- - - - Aruba ACCX #748, ACDX #758, ACMP, ACEAP | HPE Master ASE - - - -
- - - - - - - Feel free to give kudos or accept as a solution! - - - - - - - - -
New Contributor

Dear fl050,

sorry for late reply. If you use a gbps fiber optic modules in SFP+ slots of 2540 switch. You need to set ports speeds that it works with thrid party switches. We exprianced that feature too.

int x (you SFP+ fiber slot)

speed-duplex 1000-full (If you have fixed port speed on other side)

The 2530 Series has some switches with SFP+ ports too which are EOL (J9853A-J9856A). It could could be that there is the same "feature".

Br,

Mark.

EDIT:

This seems only to help when you have a new module on other 3rd party side when you have 1/10 speed selectable (It appears with intel 1/10G SFPs).

What show sh int tranceiver [your port] detail?

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: