Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 2920 Stack how can I setup backup default route

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Aruba 2920 Stack how can I setup backup default route

Posted Mar 21, 2018 11:01 PM

I have 4 Aruba 2920 switches setup in a stack confirmation.  I have several VLANS setup and a default Gateway of my Firewall for internet access.  I have a secondary Firewall connected to another ISP.  How would I configure the stack to use this secondary ISP if default gateway is not available?

Route Map?  Second gateway of last resort?  I don't mind doing the leg work just not sure where to start.  

• 2.  RE: Aruba 2920 Stack how can I setup backup default route
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 22, 2018 06:31 PM

Greetings!

You should be able to set multiple routes to 0.0.0.0/0, pointing at different gateways, and use a different metric for each one (lower for the preferred gateway, higher for the backup).

• 3.  RE: Aruba 2920 Stack how can I setup backup default route

Posted Mar 22, 2018 07:37 PM

Hi Matthew,

Can you please explain failover in that case? If primary link fails, will it failover to the backup one without any tracking?

• 4.  RE: Aruba 2920 Stack how can I setup backup default route

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 26, 2018 02:02 PM

The routes follow the state of the VLAN the route is associated with (2920 Multicast and Routing Guide for 16.05, page 54); if the VLAN associated with your primary gateway goes down, the switch will remove the route from its routing table and start utilizing the secondary gateway.  When the primary link comes back up, the primary gateway will be re-added to the routing table and the switch will resume using it.

• 5.  RE: Aruba 2920 Stack how can I setup backup default route

Posted Mar 26, 2018 07:59 PM

Thanks Matt.. Informative!

• 6.  RE: Aruba 2920 Stack how can I setup backup default route

Posted Nov 12, 2018 05:29 PM

Matthey,

I have a similar situation.  In order to use the metric, do you need to enable RIP (or other routing protocol)?  Or will a metric with a simple static route work?

Thanks

• 7.  RE: Aruba 2920 Stack how can I setup backup default route

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 21, 2018 07:27 AM

@prouse wrote:

Matthey,

I have a similar situation.  In order to use the metric, do you need to enable RIP (or other routing protocol)?  Or will a metric with a simple static route work?

Thanks

No need dynamic routing protocol

• 8.  RE: Aruba 2920 Stack how can I setup backup default route

Posted Nov 21, 2018 09:29 AM

Thanks for the reply.

• 9.  RE: Aruba 2920 Stack how can I setup backup default route

Posted Feb 03, 2020 06:53 PM

@Matthew_Fern wrote:

The routes follow the state of the VLAN the route is associated with (2920 Multicast and Routing Guide for 16.05, page 54); if the VLAN associated with your primary gateway goes down, the switch will remove the route from its routing table and start utilizing the secondary gateway.  When the primary link comes back up, the primary gateway will be re-added to the routing table and the switch will resume using it.

Hi Matt, I know this is an old thread but does this mean it would only switch to the backup link if the LAN side of the connected gateway went offline? Is it possible to set the routes to point to the WAN side interface?

Cheers,

Michelle