Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 2930-F manager password change

This thread has been viewed 20 times
  • 1.  Aruba 2930-F manager password change

Posted Jun 29, 2020 10:47 PM

Hi, 

The below command would be enough to change 2930-F switch manager password:

-  2930-F(config)# password manager user-name " " sha1

Also, do I need to restart the switch to take effect the new password after I issue the write cmd? I think it should work with running-config but not with startup-config??

Looking for the suggestions.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Aruba 2930-F manager password change
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 30, 2020 06:23 AM

By including user-name in that command you would actually be changing the user-name to something other than manager. I suspect you know that...So you've got a user alternate to manager with the manager category, is my assumption.

If you logout you will be prompted to save the current configuration. If you don't save the password change will have worked and you will need to use the new password to login. If you want to revert and have forgotten the password, you can reboot to reload the startup configuration.

You do not need to restart the switch for the change to take effect.

• 3.  RE: Aruba 2930-F manager password change

Posted Jun 30, 2020 06:43 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your inputs.

I have changed the user "admin" (which has "manager" privileges) password through cmd:

2930-F(config)# password manager user-name admin plaintext " "

After applied, I have saved and compare the running and startup-config. They are identical. However, when I do ssh using the admin user, I am getting denied.

It should work as you said I don't need to reboot the switch. Please help.

• 4.  RE: Aruba 2930-F manager password change

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 30, 2020 06:51 AM

If you have access to see the startup and running config that means you are still logging in to the switch in some way. Do you still have access to the manager user? Or are you using operator?

If you can change configuration add the include-credentials command and take a look at the running config:

include-credentials
    show running-config | include password

Are you seeing password or encrypt-password manager user-name "admin" or is it still showing as "manager"?

• 5.  RE: Aruba 2930-F manager password change

Posted Jun 30, 2020 07:30 AM

Hi,

I just realised there was no user (admin in this case) configured for the 2930-F switch in radius server so it was denying. 

I was thinking the manager user-name cmd has a local user effect so no need for radius like as root with Junos. 

Thanks for your inputs - your first post helped to resolve this. 

• 6.  RE: Aruba 2930-F manager password change

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 30, 2020 07:36 AM

Glad you found the issue