Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 2930F Connect server to 10gbps port

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Aruba 2930F Connect server to 10gbps port

Posted Mar 27, 2018 04:37 AM

Tried to connect a server with a 10Gb network card to the 10Gb uplink ports on a 2930F switch, but it didn't work. There was no connection and no packets where exchanged (Wireshark trace). The transceiver is recognized (it show when running the command 'show interfaces transceiver 50 detail'.

After that i've connected the server to  Aruba 3810M, it works immediately. It seems it's not possible to connect a server to the 10Gb uplink ports of the 2930F switch?

Hardware used:

10 Gb adapter: HPE Ethernet 10Gb 2-port 560SFP+ adapter

Cable: HPE X242 10G SFP+ 3m Direct Attach Copper Cable

• 2.  RE: Aruba 2930F Connect server to 10gbps port

Posted Mar 27, 2018 08:12 AM

I have three servers connected to 10gbps ports on a couple of Aruba 2930F's, so it's definately doable.  My hardware is different though...I'm using HP compatible fiber transceivers to 7m MM fiber to Intel compatible fiber transceivers at the server (has an Intel SFP+ NIC).  I wanted to use DAC cables, but heard that the Intel NIC would pretty much reject any non-Intel transceiver, so I just opted for fiber instead so I could match the transceivers to the SFP+ slot they were going into.

I would ask, have you updated the firmware on the 2930F?  I know both of mine arrived with a very old firmware out of the box which did not support VSF (essential for my setup since I was going to stack them).

• 3.  RE: Aruba 2930F Connect server to 10gbps port

Posted Mar 27, 2018 08:54 AM

Haven't upgraded the firmware yet, but will do before connecting the server. When the server is connected to the 3810M switch it works fine. The transceiver is recognized by the switch so that's the strange thing. But the firmware upgrade might solve it, thanks!

• 4.  RE: Aruba 2930F Connect server to 10gbps port

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 27, 2018 01:19 PM

Greetings!

This is curious behavior, particularly given that the DAC you listed should be compatible with the 2930F's SFP+ uplinks regardless of the software version it is running.  Were any event log messages generated when the DAC was connected to the switch?  (Also, is the 560SFP+ server NIC itself running latest firmware?)

• 5.  RE: Aruba 2930F Connect server to 10gbps port

Posted Mar 28, 2018 04:27 PM

Greetings and thanks for the reply!

No warnings were logged and also no warnings on the server were logged. As mentioned before it works when i connect the server to the Arube 3810M switch. I'll try to upgrade the firmware of the network card and switch, if that doesn't work i'll contact the support desk. But i'm not sure if that's possible without a carepack registered?

tranceiver_details.PNG

• 6.  RE: Aruba 2930F Connect server to 10gbps port

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 28, 2018 05:25 PM

I'm not 100% sure if help desk support requires a care pack or if it's covered under hardware warranty, so I can't speak to that.  However, the network card firmware updates themselves do not require a support package to download — filter this search listing by Software type: Firmware, sort the results by date, and select the latest online firmware upgrade utility for your server's operating system.

• 7.  RE: Aruba 2930F Connect server to 10gbps port

Posted Apr 26, 2018 01:28 PM
    Hi all,
    Is there something new regarding this issue?

We have the same problem in our network.
    Our server is currently connected to the backside 10gb Ports of a 2920 stack using 3m dac cable.
    Now we tried to move them to two 2930f vsf switches with the same issue.
    The switch recognizes the dac cable and the link is shown as up but there is no communication possible.
    The 2920 and the 2930f are running firmware 16.5.7
    Also there is no special I formation in the log file available.
    Just insertion of the transceiver and then status up from the port.

Regards

• 8.  RE: Aruba 2930F Connect server to 10gbps port

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 27, 2018 12:47 PM

We are investigating this issue internally and will update this topic when we have more information.

• 9.  RE: Aruba 2930F Connect server to 10gbps port

Posted Nov 27, 2018 05:51 AM

Hello

Is there an update on this topic? Is it now possible to directly connect servers to the 10 Gbps ports?

• 10.  RE: Aruba 2930F Connect server to 10gbps port

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 27, 2018 02:59 PM

@trackermc wrote:

Hello

Is there an update on this topic? Is it now possible to directly connect servers to the 10 Gbps ports?

It is possible but you need check if DAC work on both (Switch and Server) or use Fiber !

• 11.  RE: Aruba 2930F Connect server to 10gbps port

Posted Feb 01, 2019 12:02 AM

Digging up an old thread, but any chance a resolution/fix was found for this? I have a pair of Aruba S2500-24P-US and am trying to connect one of them with a 10gbase-t transceiver from FS.com compatible with the S2500, recognized in cli, going by cat7 jumper to a thunderbolt3 dock on my imac with a 10gbase-t port (non-sfp). As its a static port I don't have the option of using fiber transeiver. Won't pull IP from DHCP, won't browse even if manual IP assigned. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 12.  RE: Aruba 2930F Connect server to 10gbps port
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 01, 2019 10:50 AM

For me the problem was resolved with a firmware upgrade. I've contacted HP, and they've send me the latest firmware.