Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 2930M 24G --> VLAN tagging

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  Aruba 2930M 24G --> VLAN tagging

Posted Dec 20, 2017 10:23 AM

Hello all,

Completely new to aruba switches here, trying to make some sense!

We have recently purchased a number of 2930M switches .

Their desired function is to provide connectivity to a number of servers to the rest of our network.

servers >> aruba 2930M >> gateway router

For redundancy , we are using 2 uplink ports leading to different gateway routers (ports 22 & 23)

Each router must operate two VLANs  (100, 200) in order to support two different services.

Currently, the router has default vlan 1 in all ports.

we have about 10 servers for each switch, half require connectivity on vlan 100 (ports 1-5) , the other on vlan 200 (ports 6-10)

The desired situation is that each server port is configured with the desired vlan , but the uplink ports (22 &23) must have both vlans.

As i understand, i have to define both VLANs

switch# configure
    switch(config)# vlan 100
    switch(vlan-100)# tag 1-5 , 22-23

---------
    switch# configure
    switch(config)# vlan 200
    switch(vlan-200)# tag 6-10 , 22-23

this way, uplink ports (22,33) are tagged in both vlans, but each server port is tagged with only the vlan of the service that is required.

Each server is configured with the relevant IP/mask/gateway .

Am i missing something in my idea of how the configuration should be?

Any remarks are welcomed!

• 2.  RE: Aruba 2930M 24G --> VLAN tagging
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 20, 2017 10:36 AM

Congratulations and welcome to the Aruba familly. In the above configuration you also tag vlans to the servers. Are you sure this is needed? If not you probably need to untag the server ports in the needed VLAN. Uplink ports are tag correctly. The switch will not do any routing is this correct? Regards Dobias

• 3.  RE: Aruba 2930M 24G --> VLAN tagging

Posted Dec 20, 2017 10:38 AM

if you tag your uplink ports with vlan100 and 200 you need to have vlans/subinterfaces on the routers too.

if your router has only vlan1 configured it will not work with switch uplinks configured for tagged 100+200

• 4.  RE: Aruba 2930M 24G --> VLAN tagging

Posted Dec 20, 2017 11:02 AM

Hello & thank you for the warm welcome!

Correct, the aruba switch will not have to do any routing.

each server is configured with the relevant default gateway for each vlan , and the gateway router is also configured with both vlans (100  & 200) .

I am not sure of anything where the aruba configuration is needed!

If i understood your comment correctly,  i should "untag" all my server ports (as say input ports) and "tag" only the uplink port. (which i assume places the VLAN tag so the gateway router knows this info)

basically,

1)for device ports i should untag the relvant vlans (100, 200)

2)for the uplink ports i should tag relevant vlans (100,200)

3)for the uplink ports i should also untag default VLAN 1 ?

Many thanks again for the response!

• 5.  RE: Aruba 2930M 24G --> VLAN tagging
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 20, 2017 03:41 PM

You're quick learner 8-). This is correct. If you need VLAN 1 also on the uplinks than you can leave it as untag or tagged it. If you don't need VLAN 1 I would remove it from the ports. 

• 6.  RE: Aruba 2930M 24G --> VLAN tagging

Posted Jan 11, 2018 05:07 AM

I was finally able to test the config in production - everything works great!

Many thanks again for all the help !

• 7.  RE: Aruba 2930M 24G --> VLAN tagging

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 11, 2018 05:00 PM

Thank you for this feedback. Great to hear that everything works!!

• 8.  RE: Aruba 2930M 24G --> VLAN tagging

Posted Jan 16, 2020 11:47 PM

OK, I am confused. We DO NOT tag the interface the computer is connected to? I have a computer connected on port 13. I want it to be in vlan 10 and get an IP address from a dhcp server in that vlan. How does the dhcp server (which has 2 dhcp scopes Vlan1/vlan10 - vlan 1 works all day) offer IP's per vlan unless the port it is connected to knows of both vlans? I also want to ping my ASA that has a sub interface Ethernet1.10 in vlan 10 with an IP from that same vlan assigned. The interface is up. I cannot ping thru. 

Vlan 10-------------
    ASA Port 1 untagged or untagged?

Workstation Port 13 tagged or untagged?

Uplink port (lets say 20 on this switch and 20 on the other switch) tagged or untagged?

Dhcp server connected to another switch (has 2 dhcp scopes, for vlans 1 and 10) tagged or untagged?

Vlan 1-------------

Uplink port (lets say 20 on this switch and 20 on the other switch) tagged or untagged?

Dhcp server connected to another switch (has 2 dhcp scopes, for vlans 1 and 10) tagged or untagged?

Thanks,

Jroy

• 9.  RE: Aruba 2930M 24G --> VLAN tagging

Posted Jan 16, 2020 11:49 PM

Annotation 2020-01-16 210037.pngOh, almost forgot, do I tag or untag Trk's that have 2 or more interfaces (these are also uplinks)

• 10.  RE: Aruba 2930M 24G --> VLAN tagging

MVP GURU
    Posted Jan 17, 2020 04:42 AM

@jerryroy1 wrote:

OK, I am confused. We DO NOT tag the interface the computer is connected to? I have a computer connected on port 13. I want it to be in vlan 10 and get an IP address from a dhcp server in that vlan. How does the dhcp server (which has 2 dhcp scopes Vlan1/vlan10 - vlan 1 works all day) offer IP's per vlan unless the port it is connected to knows of both vlans? I also want to ping my ASA that has a sub interface Ethernet1.10 in vlan 10 with an IP from that same vlan assigned. The interface is up. I cannot ping thru. 

Vlan 10-------------

Vlan 1-------------

Thanks,

Jroy

It will be better to open a new topic

and about DHCP, you need to use DHCP Relay

• 11.  RE: Aruba 2930M 24G --> VLAN tagging

Posted Jan 17, 2020 10:37 AM

Ya?, dhcp-relay is altready enabled, definately not Cisco LOL