Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 5406R active/active redundancy

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Aruba 5406R active/active redundancy

Posted Nov 29, 2018 05:03 AM

Hi,

What is required to achieve the two Aruba 5406R switch active/active redundancy.

I will be using three "HPE 24-port Gig-T v2 zl Module" for client connectivity on each switches and single management module on each switches.

In our infrastructure every client/node has two ethernet ports for the redundancy purpose which is directly connected on both switches.

Thank you,

Nik..

• 2.  RE: Aruba 5406R active/active redundancy
    Best Answer

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 29, 2018 06:55 AM

I suggest you the Aruba VSF Approach...two Aruba 5406R zl2 interconnected through VSF link (10G or 40G admitted as physical member interfaces for logical VSF Ports).

A requirement is to have Aruba v3 zl2 Modules, let both Aruba 5400R zl2 to work in v3-only-mode and use just one MM for each Aruba 5400R zl2 Switch.

No VRRP or STP is required. With VSF you have Active (Commander) and Active (Standby)...so each downlink (LACP) can start from each Aruba VSF node and terminate to the Access Switch or Host, these ones will see the link from the VSF as coming from a single entity (Logical Switch) as normally happens betwen two physical switches interconnected with LACP.

• 3.  RE: Aruba 5406R active/active redundancy

Posted Nov 29, 2018 08:37 AM

Hi Parnassus,

Thank you for valuable information.

Do i need to configure LACP for active/active switch redundancy or it will work on single 10G link as well.

Thank you..

• 4.  RE: Aruba 5406R active/active redundancy

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 29, 2018 09:31 AM

Are you referring to VSF Links between Aruba 5400R zl2 or are you referring to uplinks/downlinks to access Switches or Servers?

If you refer to uplinks/downlinks to access Switches or Server, the best practice - remember you're running two Chassis in a VSF - is to "dual homing" all the links: so each switch/server uplinked to VSF should have a leg (or legs) on the 1st VSF Member and the other leg (or legs) on the 2nd VSF Member.

VSF Link(s) between VSF Members are, always following best practice, generally deployed using two or more links at 10G or 40G (generally via DAC cables since VSF Members are very near each others).

If you need some VSF related documentation I can post you some interesting links so you can understand VSF related requirments/restrictions.

• 5.  RE: Aruba 5406R active/active redundancy

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 29, 2018 02:40 PM

Greetings!

On the subject of VSF restrictions: I would like to point out that, based on the v2 module description in the original post, the switches would be operating in v2/v3 compatibility mode and thus VSF would not be available (VSF requires both members to operate in v3-only mode).

An alternative to VSF for these switches that would allow LACP uplinks and downlinks to be distributed across both 5406R chassis would be the Distributed Trunking feature, which is covered in the Management and Configuration Guide.

• 6.  RE: Aruba 5406R active/active redundancy

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 29, 2018 02:49 PM
    Absolutely...indeed I cited v3 zl2 Modules and v3 mode of operation: the OP is (or should be) the sole responsible of (a) gathering all required informations to deploy the planned solution and (b) understanding features, benefits, requirements and restrictions of desired implementation (accepting or discarding it in favour of other technical approaches).

It's pretty clear that OP's System - equipped as described (not to speak about Software version is running on...which was not mentioned) - doesn't meet all required conditions to deploy suggested VSF...but we were just speaking about a possible approach.

Distributed Trunking (DT) is definitley another good one!