Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 7240 controller setup

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Aruba 7240 controller setup

Posted Nov 19, 2017 11:48 PM

Hi ,

I have to set up a aruba controller (7240) in hub and spoke environment , in 2 spoke we have to install total 80 aruba APs(325).

What is the best design for this architecture ???

How many controller will reqiure for this setup ???

And which precaution we need  to take for configuration & installation ??

• 2.  RE: Aruba 7240 controller setup
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 20, 2017 03:29 AM

You should start with the Aruba Networks Campus Network Validated Reference Design Guide here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/Campus-Network-Design/ta-p/155134

In Aruba it is called Master (writeable controller), local (read-only controller), not hub and spoke.  According to the datasheet here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/ds/DS_7200Series.pdf a 7240 can terminate 2048 access points, so if you are not going over 2000 for each site, in theory you could use 2 7205s.  Please see the rest of the Campus Validated Reference Design guide for design ideas.

• 3.  RE: Aruba 7240 controller setup

Posted Nov 20, 2017 04:16 AM

Thanku Joseph for reply and got the document which you have mention in the link , it will definitely help for my setup .

if i will face any issue during the setup i will let u know.

Thanku once again.

• 4.  RE: Aruba 7240 controller setup

Posted Nov 20, 2017 04:35 AM

I forgot to ask you that which mode (CAP or RAP) is preferable for Aruba APs(325) on local side because dhcp server , firewall device  and internet traffic is in master location .

• 5.  RE: Aruba 7240 controller setup

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 20, 2017 04:43 AM

RAPs (remote APS) are only for remote deployments where there is a NAT boundary between the access points and the controller.  It should be a CAP (Campus AP).

• 6.  RE: Aruba 7240 controller setup

Posted Nov 20, 2017 04:54 AM

Thank you Joseph for your quick reply and support . 

• 7.  RE: Aruba 7240 controller setup

Posted May 23, 2018 01:06 AM

How many local controllers can a Master (7240) support