Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 8320 Global Status LED: is solid Amber On good or not for normal operation?

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Aruba 8320 Global Status LED: is solid Amber On good or not for normal operation?

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 01, 2019 12:04 PM

Hi all,

Is anybody able to confirm me what should be the Global Status LED expected color status (solid Amber or solid Green) when considering an Aruba 8320 JL479A "Top Flite" in normal/good state of operation?

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Aruba 8320 Global Status LED: is solid Amber On good or not for normal operation?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 02, 2019 04:27 AM

It should be green, but on my lab they are solid amber as well.

Let me check.

• 3.  RE: Aruba 8320 Global Status LED: is solid Amber On good or not for normal operation?

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 02, 2019 05:14 AM

Hello Vincent, I agree with you...it should be green (in my head green means "All good", Amber means "Warning")...initially [*] I wrote about that here...but there was no further discussion about my findings. Recently I saw a presentation where the Global Status LED for JL479A was described as Solid Green when ArubaOS-CX is in normal operation and Solid Amber when ArubaOS-CX suffers of a fatal hardware fault/issue...OTOH documentation looks very conflicting about Global Status LED status for normal operation.

[*] that's true since ArubaOS-CX 10.00 up to ArubaOS-CX 10.02...don't know if it changed with ArubaOS-CX 10.03.

• 4.  RE: Aruba 8320 Global Status LED: is solid Amber On good or not for normal operation?

Posted Sep 02, 2019 05:25 AM

All the info ,  Regarding LED's of 8320 , Can be found here:

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-a00041629en_us&docLocale=en_US

8320.jpg

• 5.  RE: Aruba 8320 Global Status LED: is solid Amber On good or not for normal operation?

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 02, 2019 06:13 AM

Hi, thanks for the link but I already know that...the point is that other valuable sources states the contrary (just an example):

Aruba_8320_Global_Status_LED_Status.PNG

And on Aruba 832x Monitoring Guide for ArubaOS-CX 10.03 (Edition 1, June 2019) see at page 11 and 12...Global Status LED Amber on (solid) means two things concurrently:

• The switch has passed self test and is powered up normally.
    • If this LED is on amber for a prolonged time, the switch has encountered a fatal hardware failure, or has failed its self test.

The point, beyond all, is that a Normal working condition should be signalled with a solid Green and not a solid Amber (IMHO Amber recalls "Warning" exactly like Red recalls "Error"...that's common sense).

• 6.  RE: Aruba 8320 Global Status LED: is solid Amber On good or not for normal operation?

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 02, 2019 06:26 AM

Chassis LEDs behaviour you linked as screenshot refers to JL581A...not about JL479A...to say how much conflicting are the informations about Global Status LED for JL479A just have a look here (where solid Amber means fault).

• 7.  RE: Aruba 8320 Global Status LED: is solid Amber On good or not for normal operation?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 04, 2019 05:26 PM

You have no issue with your 8320 with system LED being solid amber. This is the normal expected color (unlike specified in the documentation). Let me anticipate next question: why don't we have green instead of amber like other products.

Well..., for time being this is the way it is...We are investigating to update documentation even if software update is an alternative.

I'll let you know.

But so far, no worries about your 8320 if you have solid amber system LED.

• 8.  RE: Aruba 8320 Global Status LED: is solid Amber On good or not for normal operation?

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 05, 2019 03:13 AM

Hi Vincent!

Thank you for checking!

I am/was sure our VSX is/was normally running without any evident (hardware) fault...just seeing that solid Amber LED among various other Green ones is, to be honest, annoying.

@vincent.giles wrote: Well..., for time being this is the way it is...We are investigating to update documentation even if software update is an alternative.

Nedless to say (you know...) I tend to prefer the software update as an alternative way to fix that behaviour (especially considering that doing so it will be consistent within the entire Aruba 8000 Switch Series and not only within that series)...I think it will not too difficult for Development to recode the software (SVOS?) to turn on that LED with solid Green instead of solid Amber if all diagnostic looks good...but, as you wrote, "for time being this is the way it is"...the important thing is that we're  all aware of that.

Thanks!

• 9.  RE: Aruba 8320 Global Status LED: is solid Amber On good or not for normal operation?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 05, 2019 03:21 AM

Actually the upgrade to solve this is a bit more complicated that it appears. It requires a "non-fail-safe" upgrade of a component that, if the upgrade is interrupted, might break the switch. So, for time being we prefer fixing the documentation aspect of this cosmetc bug.

• 10.  RE: Aruba 8320 Global Status LED: is solid Amber On good or not for normal operation?

• 11.  RE: Aruba 8320 Global Status LED: is solid Amber On good or not for normal operation?

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 06, 2019 05:30 AM

That's great. Thank you.

• 12.  RE: Aruba 8320 Global Status LED: is solid Amber On good or not for normal operation?

MVP GURU
    Posted Mar 29, 2020 06:47 PM

Just a March 2020 follow up:

Still today there is at least an Aruba 8320 related document (like this one published just few days ago) still erroneously declaring that a "Solid Amber" condition for the Global Status LED means a not normal situation (Hardware failure!) that need to be diagnosed...this reminds me about how counter-intuitive and unfortunate that initial "Amber = All OK" LED coding behaviour choice was for the Aruba 8320 switch series.