Wired Intelligent Edge (Campus Switching and Routing)

Highlighted

Re: Aruba 8320 and ArubaOS-CX - Experience

Hi

Active-gateway should be used with mclag AFAIK.
How do you create the redundancy without lag? Spanningtree?

That it works doesn’t mean it should work like that

Cheers, Frank
AirHeads MVP |AMFX#22| ACCX#613| ACMX#733| ACDX#744

If you like my posts, kudo's are welcome. If it solves your problem, please click 'Accept as Solution'
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks, no spanning-tree, loop cannot happen, because each 8320 has only one connection with the aggregation network (and no direct connection between 8320)

Highlighted

Hi

AFAIK you need the ISL link for mclag and maybe even active gateway.
I think with the current setup you have vrrp is more a ‘valid’ option.

I believe that mclag is still a better solution with active gateway.

Cheers, Frank

If you like my posts, kudo's are welcome. If it solves your problem, please click 'Accept as Solution'
Highlighted
Aruba Employee

Hi Vestra,

If you are not using Multi-Chassis LAGs the recommendation is to use VRRP. For example, if you are using MSTP/RPVST, you can make the VRRP V-IP master to be the same as the VLAN/Instance root. That way you optimize the usage of the inter-switch link.

Active gateway may work, but is not designed for that use case.

Regards, Ruben.- 

Ruben Iglesias
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

Now i have the following problem:

The customer has a network with old cisco switches see below. This cannot be changed at the moment.

So i have to attach his two core switches to the 8320, with VSX i have to this with 2x MC-LAG.

And now big question: Can this create a loop? Or does VSX mitigate this somehow? (spanning tree cannot be enabled with VSX)

Bildschirmfoto 2018-07-25 um 10.15.10.png

Highlighted

Hi 

I don't think VSX will solve the loop in your design.

If you connect it like that there will be a loop. 

Remember that MCLAG works as a LACP on the cisco switch. So the Cisco switch is 'seeing' it as an LACP to a single switch. In fact there are two switches. MCLAG and ISL is designed to work that way.

I would advise a re-design or connect only 1 cisco core switch to the 8320. 

When are the old cisco coreswitches going to be removed?

What function do you want to create with the 8320's?:

- core switches?

- L3 routering?

Cheers, Frank

Highlighted
MVP Guru Elite

@parnassus wrote:

Hi Vestra, if you deployed VSX can you share a sanitized running configuration? I'm going to deploy it too and I'm asking if there is something that can be studied to be prepared to.

Thanks! Davide.

Do you always need a running configuration ?

It is very easy to use VSX ! (if you are Aruba Partner, you can also try with WorkBench)

PowerArubaSW: Powershell Module to use Aruba Switch API for Vlan, VlanPorts, LACP, LLDP... More info

PowerArubaCP: Powershell Module to use ClearPass API (create NAD, Guest...) More info

PowerArubaCX: Powershell Module to use ArubaCX API (get interface/vlan/ports info)

PowerArubaIAP: Powershell Module to use Aruba Instant AP

PowerArubaMC: Powershell Module to use Mobility Controller / Master

ACMP 6.4 / ACMX #107 / ACCP 6.5 / ACSP
Highlighted
MVP Guru

Hello Alexis, it's not essential...but it would be useful to use it as a template to study just in case of doubts...I've collected many info about ArubaOS-CX and, in particular, about setting up VSX so I'm pretty confident I shouldn't have any particular issue [*] (Aruba 8320 arrived today and next Monday we're going to start).

[*] apart - I'm asking myseld now - if I can reproduce the same SNMPv3 settings I standardized and used on all other ArubaOS-Switch devices we have in order for the new Aruba 8320 pair to be discoverded by our HPE IMC 7.3 E0605P04.

Highlighted

Hi

At the moment VSX only gives you some config advantage. It is not like IRF and VSF!

You can build the whole corenetwork on 8320/8400 without VSX.

Cheers, Frank

Highlighted
MVP Guru

Frank, in all honesty I already know that VSX, in terms of features, resembles somewhat a mix of VSF and IRF but, looking carefully, it behaves neither as VSF does nor as IRF does (IMHO it looks, but it isn't, like the old so called Distributed Trunking with ISL of old ProVision based switches...on steroids...and enigneered for a totally different operating system with totally different approach <- think about how synching happens, as example): in our specific scenario we do need VSX because we do need resiliency (call it HA) through both Aruba 8320 we are going to implement...so it's not just a matter of building a core based on ArubaOS-CX but it's a matter of building an isolated network based on ArubaOS-CX correctly implementing VSX.

At this point I think I have all the puzzle's tiles on the right places, my request was aimed to see if there is a configuration to be taked as very best practice (VRF, ISL, Keepalive, etc.) without recapping VSX related slides from different presentations/documents...it there is, OK...if there isn't, doesn't matter.

I've documented myself a lot about VSX (OTOH I've already implemented VSF using two Aruba 5406R zl2 with OoBM MAD and IRF on low end HPE Comware v5/v7 based switches).

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: