Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Controller Captive Portal Redirect not working correctly

This thread has been viewed 21 times
  • 1.  Aruba Controller Captive Portal Redirect not working correctly

Posted Jan 25, 2016 08:13 AM

Hi Everyone

I'm setting up an Aruba Controller for the first time (OAW4030 running 6.4.4.3 version)

The setup is farily basic, only one guest network and nothing else

I'm still in a lab environment so I have no internet access, anyway:

- When i connect to the network, most devices (W8, Android, etc) are not redirected to the CP login page. The page only appears if I type an IP Address in the browser (even if the IP Address points to nowhere). If i type an URL nothing happens (except for a Sony Xperia Device that I own, but i wouldn't take it as an example, since if tested with four other android devices and none of them worked)

Where am I missing?

Thank you very much

Regards

• 2.  RE: Aruba Controller Captive Portal Redirect not working correctly

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 25, 2016 08:17 AM
    Your client needs a functioning dns server.

• 3.  RE: Aruba Controller Captive Portal Redirect not working correctly

Posted Jan 25, 2016 09:03 AM

There is no way do make the captive portal work with an IP address like with Cisco WLC?

When I do the same configuration in a cisco WLC, there's even a notification popup appearing in the android devices screen telling the client that he needs to authenticate...

• 4.  RE: Aruba Controller Captive Portal Redirect not working correctly

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 25, 2016 10:29 AM

I am answering the wrong question; I apologize.

You should make sure that the apple-cna-bypass is not checked in the captive portal authentication profile.  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_64x_WebHelp/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/1CommandList/aaa_authentication_captive.htm?Highlight=apple-cna-bypass  That checkbox would suppress the automatic Captive Portal Popup for Apple devices.

For android devices, a different mechanism is used, but there are certain circumstances where it would not work with regards to captive portal detection.  More details are here:  https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/chromiumos-design-docs/network-portal-detection.

• 5.  RE: Aruba Controller Captive Portal Redirect not working correctly
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 25, 2016 03:09 PM

@tnunes wrote:

There is no way do make the captive portal work with an IP address like with Cisco WLC?

When I do the same configuration in a cisco WLC, there's even a notification popup appearing in the android devices screen telling the client that he needs to authenticate...

You can put in 1.1.1.1 into the browser and it will redirect to the portal.   [Edit: I am guilty of not reading the original question properly]

Once upon a time I had a Raspberry Pi configured as a DNS server that always responded with the same address regardless of the lookup.  Was very handy for testing captive portal when internet links were not connected etc.  You could set something like that up for your lab.