Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Switch Memory Leak

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Aruba Switch Memory Leak

Posted Feb 03, 2015 10:53 AM

We were wondering if the consistent increase in memory utilization is "normal" in Aruba switches. We see a steady increase in utilization across all our Aruba switches. We use a variety of AOSes as well.

It is very concerning, since Cisco switches crash once they run out of memory. We have not got to the point of an Aruba switch reaching max memory yet.

MemUtilization

• 2.  RE: Aruba Switch Memory Leak

Posted Feb 03, 2015 12:10 PM

It is not normal for contnous increase in Memory utlisation. However, it is fine over a short period of time, where resources are added to system (ex: users, learnt MAC-addresses, DHCP-leases..etc...) but after period of time they move away/ gets deleted, hence processes holding the memory will be released.

From the graph it looks like consistent increase over last 10 months. And if same trend continues it will eventually lead to memory exhaustion, resulting in issues such as crash etc....

As a precaution, opening a TAC case would be helpful, so that it can be looked upon proactively before landing into other issues...

Thanks,

-Vinay

• 3.  RE: Aruba Switch Memory Leak

Posted Feb 03, 2015 12:22 PM

Thank you for the response. It might have something to do with SNMP polling. I have seen where polling caused a Cisco memory leak before. We will open a case with TAC and see what they find.

• 4.  RE: Aruba Switch Memory Leak

Posted Feb 03, 2015 01:34 PM

You might try getting some of them updated to the newer AOS such as 7.3.x or 7.4.x. I had a few customers who had similiar issues in the early releases, but I've yet to see any of it in the newer releases.

• 5.  RE: Aruba Switch Memory Leak

Posted Feb 03, 2015 03:21 PM

Here is a switch running the latest and greatest AOS 7.4.0.1. The 8th of January is when we upgraded the AOS on this particular switch, hence the drop in memory utilization.

7401.JPG

• 6.  RE: Aruba Switch Memory Leak

Posted Feb 04, 2015 09:00 AM

Just for comparison, I am actually seeing a downward trend in memory utilization for some 3500 stacks on 7.3.2.0 over the last 6 months.

Issuing the following command will help determine what processes are consuming memory:

#show processes sort-by memory