Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Switches Configuration guide

This thread has been viewed 20 times
  • 1.  Aruba Switches Configuration guide

Posted Sep 24, 2016 08:24 AM

We are planing to purchuase  multiple Aruba 2xxx and 54xx switches. I am bit confised after the merge with HP. 

Are they all using the same OS? Is it Aruba OS or HP OS and which is support for them provided by HP or Aruba?  Which is the best configuration/admin guide to follow for staff training? 

• 2.  RE: Aruba Switches Configuration guide

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 24, 2016 08:26 AM
    The OS as of 16.x is known as ArubaOS-Switch. It's the same underlying OS with many Aruba mobility centric features baked in (user roles, tunneled-node, etc).

• 3.  RE: Aruba Switches Configuration guide

Posted Sep 24, 2016 08:34 AM

Thank you for quick resonse. I am looking at the "HPE ArubaOS-Switch Management and Configuration Guide K/KA/KB.16.01" and it says that applies to Aruba 54xx, but no meniton of 29xx and 25xx series. Are they any different? 

http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c04943210

• 4.  RE: Aruba Switches Configuration guide

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 24, 2016 08:37 AM
    There are some features limited to each platform (stacking, VSF, dynamic routing,etc) but for the most part, the mainline features are the same. There is a full set of documentation for each code variant. For example, the 5400R shares the same code as the 3810M.

I'd recommend release 16.02.

• 5.  RE: Aruba Switches Configuration guide
    Best Answer

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 24, 2016 10:01 AM

The ArubaOS-Switch is the new brand name of what actually is the legacy ProCurve Switches' operating system (read: ProVision), actually this means that those (formerly HPE, actually Aruba branded) switch series are based on ArubaOS-Switch:

• 2530 (YA/YB)
    • 2620 (RA)
    • 2920 (WB)
    • 2930F (WC)
    • 3500/5400 (K)
    • 3800 (KA)
    • 3810/5400R (KB)

Note how single letter/double letters represent the respective Software Branch, as it happened with ProVision OS (this mean that if you're looking for very specific informations about Aruba 2920 you need to focus on "WB" Branch related documentation available through HPE Support portal).

HPE has a dedicated (ProVision/ProCurve so also ArubaOS-Switch) community here.

• 6.  RE: Aruba Switches Configuration guide

Posted May 11, 2018 02:10 PM

I thoroghly beg to differ.  I have s3500's, s1500's all throughout my campus.  I am replacing 16 cisco 2650 with new Aruba (HP) 2930s.  I am having the worst time getting into the console with the RJ45 connectors I use on the Cisco, Juniper and Aruba switches.  I cannot find any documents for fiurst time install.  It all "ASSUMES" you have the right cords and right putty settings and get right in.  I was able to uuse the micro usb to usb cable but don't get further thanthe initial Console - MANAGER MODE setup.  Examples for basic configs would be super.  I see the old HP work method creeping into ruin the great way aruba did business.