Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Switches and Nortel-Avaya Phone Systems

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Aruba Switches and Nortel-Avaya Phone Systems

Posted Apr 20, 2013 11:25 AM

I recently needed to configure S3500's to work with Nortel-Avaya VoIP phones. Going through the different discussions here I found that information on configuring this wasn't here. Though I know most won't need this information, if I ran into it there has to be others out there who will end up running into the same issue.

Some of the older Nortel-Avaya phones do not support the currently documented VoIP phone configuration detailed in the MAS configuration files. I wanted to post how I was able to get these phones working.

One thing that needs to be done that most with these phones will know is that DHCP options 128 and 191 need to be configured on the Data VLAN and VoIP VLAN that are being used. 

We are currently implementing the Aruba switches in place of Brocade switches so there had to be a way to replicate what Brocade calls "Dual-Mode". 

Here is the switching profile detailing how to do this directly from my configuration:

switching profile "DATA-Profile"
    ------------------------------------
    Parameter Value
    --------- -----
    Switchport mode trunk
    Access mode VLAN 1
    Trunk mode native VLAN 100
    Enable broadcast traffic rate limiting Enabled
    Enable multicast traffic rate limiting Disabled
    Enable unknown unicast traffic rate limiting Enabled
    Max allowed rate limit traffic on port in percentage 50
    Trunk mode allowed VLANs 100,200

So in my configuration I have the data VLAN "100" being passed through as the native VLAN so that it passes as untagged traffic so that another type of network device could still plug in and use the port. The VoIP VLAN "200" is also included in the trunk and this is what the VoIP phone will use to communicate. The VoIP phone knows to use this VLAN because of the DHCP options previously mentioned.

Again I know that most on here will be able to use the VoIP VLAN in the MAS switch but I wanted to make sure that others weren't searching for methods to get their Nortel-Avaya phones working on these switches as I was.

• 2.  RE: Aruba Switches and Nortel-Avaya Phone Systems

Posted Apr 23, 2013 03:43 PM

I am trying to get the Nortel i2004 NTDU82 model to work also. I have tried the configuration with the voip-profile and the access vlan associated with the interface. I tried using lldp and manually setting the dscp to 46 and tried 40 too, without any luck.

I just need the phone to allow a PC to connect on the PC port of the phone while still allowing the phone to access the VOIP vlan.

• 3.  RE: Aruba Switches and Nortel-Avaya Phone Systems

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 23, 2013 03:46 PM

Can you attach a copy of your config?

Best regards,

Madani

• 4.  RE: Aruba Switches and Nortel-Avaya Phone Systems

Posted Apr 24, 2013 08:17 AM

Have you configured the DHCP options for your system?

• 5.  RE: Aruba Switches and Nortel-Avaya Phone Systems

Posted Apr 24, 2013 09:14 AM

interface-profile voip-profile "voiptest"
    voip-vlan 64
    voip-dscp 46

voip-mode static

interface-profile switching-profile "Vlan152"

access-vlan 152

interface gigabitethernet "0/0/46"
    voip-profile "voiptest"
    qos trust auto
    switching-profile "Vlan152"

At first, I used voip-mode auto-discover with the default lldp profile enabled on the interface. Then, I discovered this current firmware revision (0602B76) for this phone does not support lldp, so I switched to static. I have tried a dscp value of 40 and 46. I also enabled qos trust auto on all configs and without it to see if that would help resolve the issue.

I have configured the phone for the following options.

DHCP = 1(Yes)

DHCP = 0(Full)

VLAN = 2(Auto)

Cfg PK = 0(no)

Cfg XAS = 0(no)

In recent firmware revisions of some Nortel phones, they have the option to enable LLDP. Not sure if this one does though.

EDIT: I could not edit and attach the text file with the full configuration, so I just posted it at the top.

• 6.  RE: Aruba Switches and Nortel-Avaya Phone Systems

Posted Apr 24, 2013 09:48 AM

On your DHCP server you need DHCP option 191, this option looks like this: "VLAN-A:200." where VLAN 200 is your associated VoIP VLAN. So this option 191 is configured with your data VLAN. Once this option is in place configure your switching profile like I have up above and your DHCP server will redirect your phone from the data VLAN to the VoIP VLAN.

• 7.  RE: Aruba Switches and Nortel-Avaya Phone Systems

Posted Apr 24, 2013 01:13 PM

I see in your initial post that you have these options applied to the data vlan and the voice vlan(or the server options?). Is that correct or am I misunderstanding? We already have option 128 configured on our voice vlan only. 

EDIT: I actually think that I may have found an article detailing what I am asking. 

http://blog.michaelfmcnamara.com/2007/10/dhcp-options-voip-part-2/

So option 191 is applied to the data vlan and option 128 is applied to the voice vlan? (If I am reading correctly, lol.)

• 8.  RE: Aruba Switches and Nortel-Avaya Phone Systems

Posted Apr 24, 2013 01:45 PM
    Yup that is correct you need option 191 on the data vlan to move the phone to the VoIP vlan

• 9.  RE: Aruba Switches and Nortel-Avaya Phone Systems

Posted Apr 24, 2013 02:02 PM

Thank you so much!! :smileyhappy:

:catvery-happy:

• 10.  RE: Aruba Switches and Nortel-Avaya Phone Systems

Posted Apr 24, 2013 02:08 PM

No problem, let me know if this works for you, I'd be happy to keep helping you.

• 11.  RE: Aruba Switches and Nortel-Avaya Phone Systems

Posted Apr 24, 2013 02:39 PM

This resolved our issue completely! It was the only piece holding us back. Now we are about to begin deployment.

Again, thank you so much!! :smileyhappy:

• 12.  RE: Aruba Switches and Nortel-Avaya Phone Systems

Posted Apr 24, 2013 03:55 PM

Not a problem!

• 13.  RE: Aruba Switches and Nortel-Avaya Phone Systems

Posted Apr 25, 2013 11:58 AM

We initially went with the config you suggested in the original post, with trunked ports and native VLAN, but Aruba switches don't allow STP portfast on trunked ports, which is a problem in our environment due to the use of PXE.  We ended up going with the voip-profile method and option 191, but will eventually go to RADIUS-assigned VLANs (can do multiple access VLANS on a single port this way)

Not entirely related to your problem, but one other item we encountered was non-standard POE.  Phase one i2004 sets that use the POE dongle need this in the MAS config:

poe-management-profile slot "0"
       cisco-compatibility
    !

This is per switch, not per stack, so you need this repeated for each unit in a stack (increment the "slot" number).  They won't power up without it.  Also there's a bug on 7.2.0 where if you turn on QOS trust for an interface it disables POE (fixed in latest release)

• 14.  RE: Aruba Switches and Nortel-Avaya Phone Systems

Posted Jun 03, 2013 04:48 PM

I'm curious, what model Avaya phone? I'm working with a 1616 and running into this issue.

• 15.  RE: Aruba Switches and Nortel-Avaya Phone Systems

Posted Feb 07, 2014 11:50 AM

poe-management-profile slot "0"
       cisco-compatibility
    !

How do you apply the poe-management-profile to a poe-profile?

Thanks,

Patrick

• 16.  RE: Aruba Switches and Nortel-Avaya Phone Systems

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 07, 2014 11:51 AM

The poe-management-profile is global for the linecard. You don't need to apply it to a poe-profile.

• 17.  RE: Aruba Switches and Nortel-Avaya Phone Systems

Posted Feb 07, 2014 11:57 AM

Thanks for the immediate response.  I have enabled the cisco-compatibility in the poe-management-profile, but it does not appear as an option in the "poe-factory-initial" poe-profile.  Is this normal?  According to the user guide for 7.2.0, it looks like I should be able enable cisco-compatibility mode under the poe-profile.

Thanks again for your help. 

• 18.  RE: Aruba Switches and Nortel-Avaya Phone Systems

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 07, 2014 11:59 AM

Pstout,

That was a typo in the 7.2 guides. You only enable cisco-compatiblity at the slot level not the interface-profile level.

Best regards,

Madani

• 19.  RE: Aruba Switches and Nortel-Avaya Phone Systems

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 07, 2014 12:00 PM

• 20.  RE: Aruba Switches and Nortel-Avaya Phone Systems
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 07, 2014 12:03 PM

Thanks for everyone's help.  It turned out that the POE adapters are not compatible.  We tried another adapter and the phone powered up successfully.  Sometimes it is an easy fix.

Thanks,

Patrick

• 21.  RE: Aruba Switches and Nortel-Avaya Phone Systems

Posted Jun 03, 2013 04:52 PM
    They were 1210 and 1120. what issue are you seeing?

• 22.  RE: Aruba Switches and Nortel-Avaya Phone Systems

Posted Jun 04, 2013 10:59 AM

The phone will not come online with the normal MAS voip settings. It displays "bad router."

If I configure the switchport as a trunk with the voice vlan allowed, then the phone comes online. Also, the phone will not MAC auth with the voip-profile and port set as "no trusted".

I'm actually trying to configure ClearPass and 802.1x / macauth on the port. Unfortunately, you can't set a trunk port to untrusted so I can either have a secure port, or have the phone come online at this point.

I'm going to have the customer try DHCP option 191 to see if that fixes the phone issue, then I can get back to macauth.