Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba virtual switch for VMware

This thread has been viewed 20 times
  • 1.  Aruba virtual switch for VMware

Posted Oct 23, 2018 06:16 AM

Hi everyone,

I  just wanted to ask if there is any sort of Aruba virtual switch like the hp flex fabric virtual switch 5900v ?

I also have another question : is there a big difference between Aruba and Hpe  switches CLI or they are similar ?
    thanks

• 2.  RE: Aruba virtual switch for VMware

Posted Oct 23, 2018 10:23 AM
    Hi Rachid,
    As far as I know, 5900 switches use IRF as virtualization technique. For Aruba, you have 2 techniques: VSF and VSX, depending on the OS (Aruba OS or Aruba OS-CX).
    I think VSF is more similar to IRF than VSX.
    VSF uses only one management plane for the virtualized switch whereas VSX keeps synchronized the managed planes of the virtual switch members.
    Check this guide about VSX, it will help you to understand it:
    https://community.arubanetworks.com/aruba/attachments/aruba/CampusSwitching/3743/1/ArubaOS-CX%2520Virtual%2520Switching%2520Extension%2520(VSX)%2520Guide%2520for%252010.01.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwj4g6Xf1pzeAhVEFpAKHRZhCD4QFjABegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw1K-mUeZvNi_Rc58LttMrXN&cshid=1540304269705

Regads
    Pedro

PS: If you find this information useful, please give me some kudos.

• 3.  RE: Aruba virtual switch for VMware

Posted Oct 23, 2018 10:35 AM

Hi Pedro

I think you misunderstood my question or i didn't explain well :)

I'm asking about a virtual switch that i can use in VMware 

• 4.  RE: Aruba virtual switch for VMware

Posted Oct 23, 2018 12:34 PM
    You can check Aruba workbench. Its hardware in a Aruba lab, but it is very nice for testing.

• 5.  RE: Aruba virtual switch for VMware

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 23, 2018 12:36 PM

Greetings!

Aruba does not provide any VMware vSwitch products at this time. It is worth noting that VMware announced end of support for third-party vSwitch products last year (a line that includes the 5900v you mentioned), as the APIs required for these products to function were being removed from the platform.