Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

ArubaOS 2930F IP SLA

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  ArubaOS 2930F IP SLA

Posted Apr 11, 2019 07:29 AM

Hi All,

I'm currently using Cisco switches which have reached their end of life, I'm thinking of potentially switching over to Aruba, however I have a requirement that I would like to clarify would work on Aruba switches if anyone can help.

I currently use IP SLA on the Cisco switches to select which route forwards traffic. Nothing too indepth, the route is selected based on the outcome of ICMP Echo responses (if ping to route A fails, route B is selected).

Can this be faciliated on ArubaOS 2930F switches? I don't need a huge switch, which is why the 8-port Aruba 2930F looks apealing.

The routes are configured as static routes at present, and as mentioned above, utilize IP SLA to select the appropriate route.

Many thanks,

• 2.  RE: ArubaOS 2930F IP SLA

Posted Apr 11, 2019 04:17 PM
    I think this is not possible and the 2930f switch has limited routing support. Also the 3810 and 5400 doesn’t support ip sla I think.

However there is OSPF support on the 2930f and the high and series support advanced routing including bgp.

• 3.  RE: ArubaOS 2930F IP SLA

MVP GURU
    Posted Apr 12, 2019 10:55 AM

I'm pretty much sure that very recent ArubaOS-Switch software releases (let's say newer than 16.02/16.04 to be on the safe side) on:

• Aruba 2920 (WB)
    • Aruba 2540 (YC)
    • Aruba 2930F (WC)
    • Aruba 2930M (WC)
    • Aruba 3810M (KB)
    • Aruba 3800 (KA)
    • Aruba 5400R zl2 (KB)

do support IP Service Level Agreement (IP SLA) feature...I don't know if want you need is achievable through ArubaOS-Switch IP SLA's implementation.

• 4.  RE: ArubaOS 2930F IP SLA
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 13, 2019 02:25 PM

@parnassus is right. IP-SLA is supported.

For more information about IP-SLA at the 2930F switches please see the documentation.

http://h22208.www2.hpe.com/eginfolib/Aruba/16.08/5200-5486/index.html#v39439240.html

• 5.  RE: ArubaOS 2930F IP SLA

Posted Apr 15, 2019 04:11 AM

I'm aware IP-SLA is supported, however I'm looking to confirm that route selection can be performed utilizing IP-SLA.

Here is an article relating to the concept which I'm familiar with from a Cisco perspective: http://www.firewall.cx/cisco-technical-knowledgebase/cisco-routers/813-cisco-router-ipsla-basic.html

Kind Regards,

• 6.  RE: ArubaOS 2930F IP SLA
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 15, 2019 04:17 AM
    That's not possible. Only the following actions can be configured

Configure action to be taken when test gets completed.
    trap: Send snmp-trap when configured threshold is hit.
    log: Only log the event when configured threshold is hit.
    trap-log: Send snmp-trap and log the event when configured threshold is hit.
    none: Take no action.

• 7.  RE: ArubaOS 2930F IP SLA

Posted Apr 15, 2019 04:20 AM

I was fearing as much, thank you for the confirmation :)

• 8.  RE: ArubaOS 2930F IP SLA

Posted Dec 05, 2019 08:45 AM

This is really easy on Cisco switches and has been an available feature in IOS for years - it's basically causing me quite a bit of grief that there is no way on ArubaOS to do this on the switch and no available examples for setting up "dynamic routing" on ArubaOS in the given scenario to deal with this limitation.

I have raised a Feature Request for exactly this: The Feature Request ID is: SWITCH-I-336