Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

ArubaOS-CX 10.01 VSX: ISL troubleshooting on VSX versus MCLAG implementation

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  ArubaOS-CX 10.01 VSX: ISL troubleshooting on VSX versus MCLAG implementation

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 10, 2018 11:13 AM

Hello all,

Reading the old Aruba 8320 Link Aggregation Guide for ArubaOS-CX 10.00 (Edition 1 of March_2018 or Edition 2 of April 2018) now superseded by the newer ArubaOS-CX Virtual Switching eXtension Guide for ArubaOS-CX 10.01 (Edition 1 of July 2018) I noticed that ISL troubleshooting on VSX, compared to ISL troublehooting on MCLAG, doesn't list the case of "Traffic redirect failure" (described as "When one side of the MCLAG is down, traffic is redirected through the ISL. Sometimes the redirection does not
    occur." on older Aruba 8320 Link Aggregation Guide for ArubaOS-CX 10.00 guides).

So my question: considering current ArubaOS-CX VSX implementation (say ArubaOS-CX 10.01.0020 to stay on the very latest) is "Traffic redirect failure" an event that is not going to happen anymore?

If I actually check both VSX nodes (Primary and Secondary), I respectively find this:

Aruba-8320-1:/home$ sudo ovs-appctl vsx/show_global
    ISL bundle configuration:
            Bundle name: lag128
            MAC learning: Disabled
            Flood block: Disabled
            Redirect traffic to: None
            Egress blocked VSXs:    lag1
            lag2
            lag3
            lag4
            lag5
            lag6
            lag7
            lag8
            lag9
            lag10
            lag11
            lag12
            lag13

If the Traffic Redirect failure is still a possible event also on VSX implementation, shouldn't I find something different than None/Disabled outputs for options like MAC learning, redirect traffic's destination and flood block state on each node (at least on the node owning the Secondary role) OR the redirect (through ISL) traffic's logic in case of VSX-LAG fault on one side changed substantially between MCLAG and VSX implementations and those options are not more relevant when dealing with VSX?

Clearly the output of actual ovs-appctl vsx/show_global shell command can't be equal to the one of (superseded) ovs-appctl -t hpe-mclagd mclag_filter_dump shell command but I saw some similarities so I asked.

• 2.  RE: ArubaOS-CX 10.01 VSX: ISL troubleshooting on VSX versus MCLAG implementation

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 10, 2018 01:18 PM

This is very in depth OVSDB troubleshooting that would require lot more details to get the complete answer.

The ovs-appctl command that applied for 10.0 is command that might have been meaningul for support. I'm not sure that in 10.1 the concern still applies. If there is CLI commands option that does not offer the level of troubleshooting you need for VSX, please elaborate.