Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

ArubaOS-CX: SCP server functionality ?

This thread has been viewed 70 times
  • 1.  ArubaOS-CX: SCP server functionality ?

Posted Aug 14, 2019 10:21 AM

Hello everyone, on ArubaOS, there is an option called "ip ssh filetransfer", which enables SCP server functionality on an ArubaOS switch.

Is there something similar on ArubaOS-CX, too?

I would like to copy software image files to an ArubaOS-CX switch, using an SCP client on my laptop (PSCP from the PuTTY software suite).

I am currently running version TL.10.03.0020 on an Aruba 8320.

Thx

• 2.  RE: ArubaOS-CX: SCP server functionality ?

MVP GURU
    Posted Aug 19, 2019 05:24 AM

It is possible to copy using scp

• 3.  RE: ArubaOS-CX: SCP server functionality ?

Posted Aug 19, 2019 05:33 AM

Thank you, but I am looking for a way to do an "SCP put" from my client, without logging in to a CLI session on the CX device first.

• 4.  RE: ArubaOS-CX: SCP server functionality ?

MVP GURU
    Posted Aug 20, 2019 11:00 AM

there is a shell on ArubaCX... i think it will be possible...

• 5.  RE: ArubaOS-CX: SCP server functionality ?

MVP GURU
    Posted Aug 20, 2019 12:34 PM

Will not be safer an approach where the ArubaOS-CX performs scp to an external storage acting as SCP File Server instead pretending the contrary (that ArubaOS-CX acts as a SCP File Server)? ...connecting in a secure way to an External Storage is supported for sure.

• 6.  RE: ArubaOS-CX: SCP server functionality ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 21, 2019 05:37 AM

that would be an option.

and why not using NetEdit to upload firmware... 

• 7.  RE: ArubaOS-CX: SCP server functionality ?

Posted Aug 21, 2019 06:30 AM

Don't get me wrong, there are of course other ways to upload software and configurations, like NetEdit, or using the SCP client on the switch.

But when you have a widely deployed and standardized network management platform that handles all devices, even from different vendors, in the same way, then that NM platform defines what you need and can do, and not the switch.

And running an SCP server on the switch is pretty much standard on the market, even low level ArubaOS switch like the ancient HP 2810 can do it.

• 8.  RE: ArubaOS-CX: SCP server functionality ?

MVP GURU
    Posted Aug 21, 2019 08:01 AM

Hi, just to contextualize...

@michael_f76 wrote: But when you have a widely deployed and standardized network management platform that handles all devices, even from different vendors, in the same way, then that NM platform defines what you need and can do, and not the switch.

...what widely deployed and standardized NM platform are you exactly referring to?

Since here we are discussing about flagship ArubaOS-CX NOS based Switch series...the two natural NM platforms I'm able to first think about are respectively HPE IMC and Aruba Airware: I'm pretty much sure that both HPE IMC 7.3 actually (and, correct me if I'm wrong, also for a foreseeable future) and Aruba Airwave don't support a specific Firmware Update management feature for ArubaOS-CX based switches (neither deployed as Standalone units nor deployed as VSX)...so I don't completely understand the reason why you introduced here the Network Management platform relationship and what widely deployed and standardized Network Management platform is really currently able of managing ArubaOS-CX software updates (where either HPE IMC or Aruba Airwave sadly fail)...not only from the simple image file transfer standpoint.

That's to learn if the gist of discussion here is to understand why an ArubaOS-CX based switch should/should not act as SCP Files Server (instead of simply acting as a SCP Client)...or is to understand why an ArubaOS-CX based switch doesn't behave like other switch series (no matter what vendor one refers)...

• 9.  RE: ArubaOS-CX: SCP server functionality ?

Posted Aug 22, 2019 02:58 AM

Hi, good morning.

The gist of the discussion is simply if an ArubaOS-CX can act as an SCP server or not.

Apparently, it can't, at least not right now.

Thanks everyone :-)

• 10.  RE: ArubaOS-CX: SCP server functionality ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 22, 2019 03:12 AM

I'm investigating this part, and will get back to you.

• 11.  RE: ArubaOS-CX: SCP server functionality ?

Posted Apr 04, 2022 04:38 AM
    Any new insights on this?

------------------------------
    Uli

• 12.  RE: ArubaOS-CX: SCP server functionality ?

Posted Jan 02, 2024 02:01 PM

Is there news about it?

• 13.  RE: ArubaOS-CX: SCP server functionality ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 05, 2024 07:33 AM

please send your request to your local Aruba representative with use case details so that he/she can raise the need to product managers.

• 14.  RE: ArubaOS-CX: SCP server functionality ?

Posted Jan 23, 2024 10:55 AM

Just wanted to chime in that this is a feature myself and my organization would also like to see implemented. As was mentioned in the thread, if using a central system for managing and automating network devices (netbox for example), being able to initiate a file transfer (whether config or software) from the automation server to the remote switch is important. Juniper for example supports scp server, and we were able to automate configuration and software upgrades using python. This functionality is missing in Aruba CX switches and makes this type of work more difficult.

• 15.  RE: ArubaOS-CX: SCP server functionality ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 12, 2024 05:16 AM

As mentioned above: "please send your request to your local Aruba representative with use case details so that he/she can raise the need to product managers."

If you have access to Aruba Innovation Zone, you can even add and monitor the request there yourself.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 16.  RE: ArubaOS-CX: SCP server functionality ?

Posted Feb 12, 2024 07:34 AM

Here it is, please vote!

https://innovate.arubanetworks.com/ideas/SWITCH-I-910

Greez,
    Uli