Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

ArubaOS-Switch Tunneled-node MTU

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  ArubaOS-Switch Tunneled-node MTU

Posted Apr 27, 2017 12:54 AM

Hi Airheads,

I'm trying to use Tunneled-node on a Aruba 3810M creating a tunnel back to an 7010 controller. I was able to get that working after i found out you required 6.5 or higher on the controller!! Anyhow, it is working now, however I've found requiring 1584 MTU on the path of the tunnel quite restricting, is there anyway to lower the MTU in the tunnel how the APs do so it is not required to increase the MTU through the network??

Richard

• 2.  RE: ArubaOS-Switch Tunneled-node MTU

Posted May 04, 2017 07:36 AM
    Hi,

1584 MTU is a requirement as far as I can see. I would imagine it's purpose it to ensure that Ethernet packets encapsulated in the tunnel do not get fragmented.

• 3.  RE: ArubaOS-Switch Tunneled-node MTU

Posted May 31, 2017 06:58 PM

Following the ASE template (https://ase.arubanetworks.com/solutions/id/134), I see the following commands:

jumbo max-frame-size 1584
    jumbo ip-mtu 1584

However, upon entering the 2nd command, I get this error:

"IP-MTU size must be 18 bytes lesser than max-frame-size."

So, is the correct version:

1)

jumbo max-frame-size 1602
    jumbo ip-mtu 1584

...OR...

2)

jumbo max-frame-size 1584
    jumbo ip-mtu 1566

EDIT (additional question):

I'm also trying to understand the reason for 1584 bytes. Here's how I add it up in a worst case scenario where both the outer and inner Ethernet frames include a 4 byte 802.1Q tag:

Ethernet + .1Q (outer): 22 bytes

IP (outer) + GRE: 24 bytes

Ethernet + .1Q (inner): 22 bytes

IP (inner) + payload: 1500 bytes

Total outer frame size: 1568 bytes

Total outer IP size: 1546

So where does 1584 come from?