Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

ArubaOS Switch profile manager

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  ArubaOS Switch profile manager

Posted Nov 01, 2018 10:11 AM

Hi airheads,

I'm trying to use device profiling for APs so that I don't have to authenticate them using clearpass. I have the following in my config on a 2930F.

device-profile name "cowaruba-ap"
       untagged-vlan 236
       poe-priority high
       exit
    device-profile type "aruba-ap"
       associate "cowaruba-ap"
       enable
       exit

I'm also using MAC auth and 802.1x on edge ports for auth. The problem is that when I plug in an AP, with debugging on I see the following:

W 11/01/18 09:36:20 05142 profile-manager: ST1-CMDR: Profile manager application failed on port 1/6 as it conflicts with RADIUS configuration.

Can I really not use both 802.1x and profile-manager together?

• 2.  RE: ArubaOS Switch profile manager

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 01, 2018 10:13 AM
    You really should be using EAP-TLS with your Aruba APs to ClearPass.

Using device profiles opens a potential security hole and you have conflicting authoritative access control at the edge of the network.

• 3.  RE: ArubaOS Switch profile manager

Posted Nov 01, 2018 10:15 AM

I've never thought of using EAP-TLS for AP auth. Is there a technote or write-up on that?

• 4.  RE: ArubaOS Switch profile manager

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 01, 2018 10:23 AM
    Are you running ArubaOS 8.2 or higher?

• 5.  RE: ArubaOS Switch profile manager

Posted Nov 01, 2018 10:25 AM

AOS 8.2.1

• 6.  RE: ArubaOS Switch profile manager

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 01, 2018 10:27 AM

Since you haven't yet deployed this, I would recommend waiting until 8.4 is released to make these changes if at all possible.

• 7.  RE: ArubaOS Switch profile manager

Posted Nov 01, 2018 10:37 AM

In the mean time, how should I auth my APs at the switch? I would rather not import all 1500 MAC addresses into clearpass.

• 8.  RE: ArubaOS Switch profile manager
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 01, 2018 10:41 AM
    You can just write rules based on the profile data. Combination of profile + MAC vendor and assign an “ap” role that only lets them talk to controllers.

• 9.  RE: ArubaOS Switch profile manager

Posted Nov 01, 2018 10:44 AM

Understood. When 8.4 is released, will there be (or is there now) documentation for the TLS auth?