Wired Intelligent Edge (Campus Switching and Routing)

MVP Expert

Re: ArubaOS simulator?

I bet the reason is (and was) because Cisco, H3C and whatever vendor had/has Data Center portfolio...that vendor was required to provide the tools you're referring to (simulation) because the DC topologies/features to be deployed often/sometime requires a initial simulation prior to go in production...HP ProCurve was used on access layer...does access layer required such simulation tools? I think it doesn't (maybe now with Campus Core the scenario is going to deserve such tools)...and so the gap.

Contributor I

Not sure this is case at all. Even though I agree that simulation tools would also be useful for that too.

But I'm sure it's down to having good training materials available. Cisco Packet Tracer is not a proper Cisco hardware/IOS simulator but a learing environment. It's a convenient replacement for hardware to learn for certification or in general wihtout having to have to go out and buy a rack full of Cisco gear only for that.

IT schools here are using Packet Tracer also for teaching basic networking stuff. And of course you can run Cisco IOS on GNS3 too. I think ultimately it's just having tools avaliable to learn the platform in a convenient way. Cisco has put a lot of effort into it, made it really convenient and that's why everyone is teaching Cisco and no-one is teaching HPE/Aruba. If everyone is learing Cisco, more Cisco gear is bought.

ArubaOS-CX OVA is available for Aruba partners as well as various lab guides to practice CLI, routing, API, NAE and more.

Owner of 8320 or 8400 can also download the OVA for internal training/lab purpose.

New Contributor

The issue is only the 8XXX series switches use that OS. The lower-end series use ArubaOS, not CX version. I am looking for a way to interact with an Aruba switch before some deployments and have no way, not even OVA, to get some hands on. Point is simulators don't need to be able to actually pass data and emulate L2 functions. The NX-OSv can't pass data, just used to emulate a DC environment, good for practicing routing and VXLAN/EVPN. You can still practice making MC-LAGs and setting up access ports and trunks, etc. I think it's important to have this platform even outside of the DC, as many people don't have Aruba switching background and want hands-on to be comfortable.

Contributor I

Ultimately if HPE/Aruba want to compete with Cisco they need to come up with something like Packet Tracer and Cisco VIRL.

H3C made a good step with Comware simulator but now that Comware, which is way superior platform, to anything made by Aruba, has taken a back seat in the product portfolio, they are back to ground zero.

There just is a general lack of training materials for HPE/Aruba stuff compared to other vendors. Even the official training is expensive and almost no-one is offering it. Actually no-one in my country, so only option is online.

And like I said above, all the schools here teach networking with Cisco simulators and materials.

MVP Expert

ArubaOS switch use specific ASIC... and it is complicated to virtualize

but with ArubaCX, it using a x86 and a OVA is already available and you can try with GNS3...

PowerArubaSW: Powershell Module to use Aruba Switch API for Vlan, VlanPorts, LACP, LLDP... More info

PowerArubaCP: Powershell Module to use ClearPass API (create NAD, Guest...) More info

PowerArubaCX: Powershell Module to use ArubaCX API (get interface/vlan/ports info)

PowerArubaIAP: Powershell Module to use Aruba Instant AP

PowerArubaMC: Powershell Module to use Mobility Controller / Master

ACMP 6.4 / ACMX #107 / ACCP 6.5 / ACSP
Highlighted
Contributor I

We should not mix up simulation and emulation. Packet Tracer is not an emulator but a simulator of Cisco hardware.

ArubaOS-CX works ok with GNS3 though.

New Contributor

The point still stands, multiple other competitors who use custom ASICs have an OVA. Only Aruba's core-level high-end switches use CX so that doesn't help with 80%+ of their solutions unless I'm missing something. Emulation is what I'm talking about and if Cisco can find a way to get it to work when they use their own ASIC, Aruba should be able to, too. Otherwise, they should work to standardize their platforms so everything is CX-based. Hard to want to support a platform if you can't learn hands-on. Their partner lab options also seem to require a physical switch, whereas Cisco's dCloud has a ton of free options, as does their devnet, all free with no equipment required.

I don't want to come off like a Cisco-only person who bad-mouths Aruba but I'm trying to provide feedback with valid reasons. Appreciate everyone's responses and hope Aruba understands those who are looking to learn their platform are trying to help them understand their gaps. Have a large rollout of Aruba across the world and trying to see my options to learn and support my team and customer as a top-level partner.
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: