Wired Intelligent Edge (Campus Switching and Routing)

Highlighted
MVP Expert

Re: Backplane Stacking and VSF Best Practices for ArubaOS-Switch

The guide has been updated once again. Summary of changes:

• Software platform name has been updated to AOS-Switch
  • CLI command formatting updates
  • Added clarification on software version mismatch behavior on new backplane stack and VSF members

Matt Fern
Senior Technical Marketing Engineer, Aruba Switching

Aruba, a Hewlett Packard Enterprise company

8000 FOOTHILLS BLVD  |  ROSEVILLE, CA 95747
T: 916.540.1759  |  E: mfern@hpe.com   |   Matt @ Twitter
Highlighted
New Contributor

So we set up a site with four 2930F's a using VSF in a ring formation with only one closet. What would be the best design with multiple closets? I am thinking we get 5400R and put selected ports in the same domain in the VSF stack to each corresponding closet with 2930F's. Would this be the best design to support a site with multiple closets? Very happy with the VSF design for our smaller office.Thanks!

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi Matthew,

this is a great guide. But maybe I miss the requirements for cable length between the switches? 

Do you have any further informations? 

Thanks 

Udo 

Highlighted
MVP Guru

Hi! cable lengths between switches part of a VSF obey to same rules valid for similar physical interfaces. This mean that VSF Links type (speed and technology) determines the maximum length of the cable run between VSF Member switches.

Example 1: if VSF Links are deployed by using SFP+ LR (Long Range) optical transceivers then you can expect to reach up to 10 kms between VSF Members (you then have also to consider that VSF reaches its potential if peer devices are multi-homed against all member switches...so you have to take into account that each peer you have connected to VSF should also be able to reach different distant locations...that's to say it's not a matter of VSF Links maximum length). Clearly here come in a lot of notes about the type of connectivity setup between distant site...it should be basically a Layer 2 with no devices in between...so in the example I assumed you're dealing with a sort of (single mode) fiber optic "dedicated line" between distant sites, point-to-point.

Example 2: if VSF Links are deployed by using SFP+ DAC cables you should expect no more than few meters (generally I would say less than 5 meters) between VSF Members.

Highlighted
MVP Expert

There is no specific cable length limitation for VSF links — you can use up to the maximum supported length for the cable type you're using for the link.

Matt Fern
Senior Technical Marketing Engineer, Aruba Switching

Aruba, a Hewlett Packard Enterprise company

8000 FOOTHILLS BLVD  |  ROSEVILLE, CA 95747
T: 916.540.1759  |  E: mfern@hpe.com   |   Matt @ Twitter
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: