Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Boot from USB pen drive

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  Boot from USB pen drive

Posted Sep 26, 2020 05:48 AM

My friend has HPE 2920 switch that has USB port.

Is that possible in any Aruba/HPE switch to boot from USB port like pen drive. Cisco switch can do that.

If yes, could someone gimme the doc

tq

• 2.  RE: Boot from USB pen drive
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 28, 2020 03:20 AM

Unsure why you would like to boot a switch from USB as the internal flash has 2 software slots for redundancy and is much more reliable than an external USB.

You can use the USB port with a pen drive stick to copy firmware or configuration to or from the switch, which may come to use if you have an issue to get images/config over the network. The documentation for this is in the Basic Operating Guide, which is available on the Aruba Support Portal.

If this doesn't answer the question, could you explain what the use-case would be?

• 3.  RE: Boot from USB pen drive

Posted Sep 28, 2020 03:37 AM

You are right in a way that Cisco only has 1 flash, while Aruba and Ruckus has dual flash.

Maybe that is why Cisco has usb boot capable beside tftp

When I insert pendrive.

Will the switch copy image and config from usb and copy to flash like Ruckus did?

http://docs.ruckuswireless.com/fastiron/08.0.70/fastiron-08070-upgradeguide/GUID-A66595C5-FDA6-4053-AC95-A122C4B28AC3.html

• 4.  RE: Boot from USB pen drive

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 28, 2020 09:42 AM

I'm not an expert on this topic, but from the documents that I linked in my previous post, I think if you want to upgrade the firmware from USB you need to give a command to copy the firmware to flash.

Maybe others know other ways.

In practice, you will have your switch managed through Central or Airwave and you run your firmware management through that in a more scalable and easy way.