Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Cables needed for stacking 2 Aruba 5406R zl2

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Cables needed for stacking 2 Aruba 5406R zl2

Posted Oct 18, 2018 10:02 AM

Hi,
    I need to stack  2 Aruba 5406R zl2 switches and i would like to know if there is a specific  stacking cable for this switche model or any 40Gbe qsfp+  cable should do the work ?
    Thanks

• 2.  RE: Cables needed for stacking 2 Aruba 5406R zl2
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 18, 2018 10:56 AM

Greetings!

Any supported QSFP+ transceiver or DAC can be used to stack 5400R switches using VSF. However, I did note in the images you posted that you are using v2 modules in your chassis; VSF can only be used if the chassis is in v3-only mode, which means that v2 modules would not function. 

If you do not have the ability to replace the v2 modules with v3 equivalents, you can use Distributed Trunking as an alternative; it still permits you to distribute uplinks and downlinks across a pair of chassis, but maintains separate control planes. See Distributed Trunking in chapter 7 of the Management and Configuration Guide (page 155 in the linked document) for more information.

• 3.  RE: Cables needed for stacking 2 Aruba 5406R zl2

Posted Oct 18, 2018 12:21 PM

Thank you that was really helpful 

• 4.  RE: Cables needed for stacking 2 Aruba 5406R zl2

MVP GURU
    Posted Oct 18, 2018 11:54 AM

Hello, if you are going to go down the Distributed Trunking (DT) path instead of deploying VSF (so your actual hardware will not change)...this guide is really worth a reading.