Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Can I get temperature information via SNMP from an S2500 switch?

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Can I get temperature information via SNMP from an S2500 switch?

Posted Aug 15, 2014 03:41 PM

Good hello!

I'm new to a job where we use Aruba, and so far, I'm impressed. Love the wireless! I do have one question which has confounded me.

We're using a network management tool called Zabbix (which I like, on balance, more than Nagios) and so I'm hooking up devices. Naturally, I want to get the switches.

As near as I can tell, in spite of the mounds of data I can extract from SNMP, there is no place that temperature is going to, in either decimal or hex form. If this isn't the case, PLEASE let me know.

I know I can get it by looking at inventory, but I'd rather not go through the shenanigans necessary to grep it out of a shell, or do that every minute on every switch. Monitoring does take its toll on overall performance, but I'd rather not take that large of a toll.

Thanks,

David

• 2.  RE: Can I get temperature information via SNMP from an S2500 switch?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 16, 2014 02:19 PM

David,

You can pull the CPU temperature from the system via SNMP using the "wlsxSysExtInternalTemperature.0" element. We don't expose the other temperature values from the "show inventory" as we're less concerned with them since the CPU is typically the hottest component in the switch and it is typically a good indicator of overal system health from an environmental perspective.

== My Switch==

(host) #show inventory | include "CPU Temp"
    System Temperature              : CPU Temp                : 57  C

== My Linux Workstation ==

[root@localhost ~]# snmpget -v 3 -n "" -u aruba -a SHA -A Aruba123 -x AES -X Aruba123 -l authPriv 10.73.4.202 wlsxSysExtInternalTemparature.0 2>/dev/null
    WLSX-SYSTEMEXT-MIB::wlsxSysExtInternalTemparature.0 = STRING: 57.000000 C

Best regards,

Madani

• 3.  RE: Can I get temperature information via SNMP from an S2500 switch?

Posted Aug 18, 2014 05:36 PM

Excellent! That's not the temp I would have thought of as most important, but I can see the argument for that..

I'll run it for a while to get baseline values, but if you have any ballpark figures for normal ranges, that'd be nice to have.

Also, playing with it a little bit, I don't see any data for the other switches in the stack, alas. I do have more variation in the stack than I would have expected.

Also, do fan rpms get pushed out?
    Thanks SO much...

• 4.  RE: Can I get temperature information via SNMP from an S2500 switch?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 19, 2014 05:56 PM

David,

Sorry for the delay responding, you're right, I just noticed the stack values aren't (EDITED) populating in the WLSX-SYSTEMEXT-MIB. I'll need to check with engineering on that one. Regarding fan speeds, we do not currently populate them in SNMP from a MIB perspective but if a fan were to fail, we will send a trap. Also here is a handy set of tables to give you an idea of the temperature versus fan speed.

Screen Shot 2014-08-19 at 5.54.50 PM.png

• 5.  RE: Can I get temperature information via SNMP from an S2500 switch?

Posted Aug 20, 2014 12:18 PM

No worries about the delay! I've got PLENTY to occupy myself with based on that. :)

Thanks for the help!