Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Captive Portal Configuration vs Access Port Connectivity

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Captive Portal Configuration vs Access Port Connectivity

Posted Jun 27, 2013 09:57 PM

Hello All,

I configured a Captive Portal Profile within the MAS 2500 of which is associated to the Captive Portal AAA Profile.

Part of my configuration requires me to apply the AAA Profile to all Physical Interfaces and configure the Ports to "Untrusted".

Now, when I plug in my laptop and physically assign a static IP Address to it to match the VLAN ID Interface subnet, it fails to achieve connectivity to my Core Switch. I confirmed that the Trunk between the 2500 and my Core is working fine.

To be able to get my laptop to establish connectivity, I had to change the configuration of the Ports from "Untrusted" to "Trusted".

Now, I assume the purpose for setting my Ports to be in state of "Untrusted" is for the purpose of allowing for an authentication process to take place. However, this seems to be impacting connectivity to my Core.

Is this working as designed, whereby, the Ports need to be in an "Untrusted" state and will eventually allow traffic when the User connecting on that Port has been successfully authenticated?

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Captive Portal Configuration vs Access Port Connectivity

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 27, 2013 10:00 PM

Can you attach a copy of your configuration to review?

Best regards,

Madani

• 3.  RE: Captive Portal Configuration vs Access Port Connectivity

Posted Jun 27, 2013 10:05 PM
      |   view attached

I have attached a Template of what I built.

Attachment(s)

txt
    Aruba-MAS Template.txt   7 KB 1 version

• 4.  RE: Captive Portal Configuration vs Access Port Connectivity

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 28, 2013 05:18 PM

Can you attach the actual running config, the output of "show station-table" and "show user-table"? Thanks!

• 5.  RE: Captive Portal Configuration vs Access Port Connectivity

Posted Jun 29, 2013 11:41 AM

@madjali wrote:

Can you attach the actual running config, the output of "show station-table" and "show user-table"? Thanks!

Hi Madjali,

It seems that when I apply a AAA Profile to a Physical Port, I need to set the Port to be "Untrusted" in order for the ACLs associated to a User-Role to be applied. And if the authentication is successful, traffic will be allowed over that Port.

Is this an accurate assumption? If that is the case, then I believe I'm comfortable with the configuration I have in place.

• 6.  RE: Captive Portal Configuration vs Access Port Connectivity

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 01, 2013 03:24 PM

Yes, for the AAA Profile to take effect, you must have the ports set to untrusted. I mis-understood your original post indicating you were un-expectedly loosing connectivity to your core.

Best regards,

Madani

• 7.  RE: Captive Portal Configuration vs Access Port Connectivity

Posted Jul 01, 2013 04:06 PM

Perfect! And is it true that one can apply only one AAA Profile to one Physical Port?

You can't have multiple AAA Profiles applied to one Physical Port?

• 8.  RE: Captive Portal Configuration vs Access Port Connectivity

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 01, 2013 04:12 PM

Correct, however you can enable multiple authentication methods per profile (e.g. dot1x, mac-auth, UDR). Captive portal settings are linked to the user-role so depening on how a device is assigned a user-role (dot1x, mac-auth, initial role, udr), you could also have different captive portals but they are not governed by the AAA profile setting per say.

• 9.  RE: Captive Portal Configuration vs Access Port Connectivity

Posted Jul 01, 2013 04:19 PM

@madjali wrote:

Correct, however you can enable multiple authentication methods per profile (e.g. dot1x, mac-auth, UDR). Captive portal settings are linked to the user-role so depening on how a device is assigned a user-role (dot1x, mac-auth, initial role, udr), you could also have different captive portals but they are not governed by the AAA profile setting per say.

Thx Madjali!

But at the end of the day, whatever way this is done and whatever AAA Profile that is created, only one can be applied per Port.

Correct?

• 10.  RE: Captive Portal Configuration vs Access Port Connectivity

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 01, 2013 04:21 PM

Yes, that is correct, only one AAA profile can be applied to an interface or group of interfaces. What is the use case where you would want multple AAA profiles on a given port?

Best regards,

Madani

• 11.  RE: Captive Portal Configuration vs Access Port Connectivity

Posted Jul 01, 2013 04:22 PM

@madjali wrote:

Yes, that is correct, only one AAA profile can be applied to an interface or group of interfaces. What is the use case where you would want multple AAA profiles on a given port?

It's a University and they are looking at a scenario where if Students and Staff cannot do 802.1x, then we need to create a Captive Portal for their authentication.

So I already have an AAA Profile associated to the 802.1x Profile and I have that applied to my Group of Interfaces. At this point, I obviously cannot apply the AAA Profile associated with the Captive Portal.