Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Captive Portal Not working

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  Captive Portal Not working

Posted Mar 25, 2018 08:20 PM

Hi Guys,

We have setup captive portal on thursday and was working over the weekend.

i am not sure what has changed but now captive portal wont even launch when you connect to the SSID.

only time captive portal works is if manually type in the webaddress of the portal. 

i get the auto generate userid and password but i still cant access the internet. 

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Captive Portal Not working

EMPLOYEE

• 3.  RE: Captive Portal Not working

Posted Mar 25, 2018 08:43 PM

thanks Collins,

i will go through those steps.

• 4.  RE: Captive Portal Not working

Posted Mar 25, 2018 09:16 PM

so it turns out guest redirect is working.

for some reason old devices which are associated are caching the guest account i created to that device which is causing the issue.

i have cleared the mac and AD cache but its still associating expire user accounts to that machine.

is there anyway i can clean this up?

i have already cleaned up the cache and web history on my test machine.

is this going to be a re-occuring thing?

• 5.  RE: Captive Portal Not working

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 25, 2018 09:28 PM

So it is caching those credentials in the browser?  You need to look at those browser settings..

• 6.  RE: Captive Portal Not working

Posted Mar 25, 2018 09:38 PM

no its caching the creds in clear pass.

so when i check the logs its caching creds associated for that machines mac address.

• 7.  RE: Captive Portal Not working

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 25, 2018 09:48 PM

You didn't say you had clearpass...

• 8.  RE: Captive Portal Not working

Posted Mar 25, 2018 10:21 PM

oops sorry.

does that change anything?

• 9.  RE: Captive Portal Not working

Posted Mar 26, 2018 12:59 AM

If ClearPass is caching the credentials, you won't be redirected to Captive Portal until cache time expires (that is the purpose of caching credetials :)).

One of the things you can do to delete endpoint cache is to go to Configuration -> Endpoints & delete the endpoint you want to remove chace for or wait till cache period expires (can be few hours or days depending how how you've set it up)

• 10.  RE: Captive Portal Not working

Posted Mar 26, 2018 01:03 AM

i have done that.

i have deleted the endpoint which makes it work.

i have set the expiration period 24 hours.

i created a test account on friday and by monday the account has expired but the machine still had that association with that expired account due to which authentication page didnt rock up.

Any suggesstion on how to change that?

• 11.  RE: Captive Portal Not working

Posted Mar 26, 2018 01:39 AM

If you go to Configuration -> Endpoints -> Attributes, what is the value of endpoint that has associated expired account (depending upon CPPM version, either it will in EPOTCH or standard time value)? Your Guest account and cache value can have different values.

Also, if you connect with an expired account, what does access tracker on ClearPass shows. How it is evaluating the request.

• 12.  RE: Captive Portal Not working

Posted Mar 26, 2018 05:04 PM
      |   view attached

@Jibran.Azizwrote:

If you go to Configuration -> Endpoints -> Attributes, what is the value of endpoint that has associated expired account (depending upon CPPM version, either it will in EPOTCH or standard time value)? Your Guest account and cache value can have different values.

Also, if you connect with an expired account, what does access tracker on ClearPass shows. How it is evaluating the request.

i have attached the screenshot of the endpoint i am using to connect to guest value.

not entirely sure what you mean by above sorry.

when i connect with expired account: Failed to get value for attributes=[AccountEnabled, AccountExpired]

• 13.  RE: Captive Portal Not working

Posted Mar 26, 2018 07:24 PM

Not sure which timezone you are in but from attached screenshot, your MAC cache still has 6 hours to expire for my timezone AEST.

By default, MAC caching will not look for your Guest account status. It will see if MAC caching is still valid and user (mac address) authenticates successfully, it will allow you access to the network.

• 14.  RE: Captive Portal Not working

Posted Mar 26, 2018 07:29 PM

@Jibran.Azizwrote:

Not sure which timezone you are in but from attached screenshot, your MAC cache still has 6 hours to expire for my timezone AEST.

By default, MAC caching will not look for your Guest account status. It will see if MAC caching is still valid and user (mac address) authenticates successfully, it will allow you access to the network.

Same timezone as you.

How can i verify how long a MAC address of the machine is valid.

• 15.  RE: Captive Portal Not working

Posted Mar 26, 2018 07:37 PM

Check attribute # 4. Mac-auth-expiry.

• 16.  RE: Captive Portal Not working

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 26, 2018 02:21 AM

Did you delete it from the controller's user table after disconnecting the device?

• 17.  RE: Captive Portal Not working

Posted Mar 26, 2018 04:58 PM

@cjosephwrote:

Did you delete it from the controller's user table after disconnecting the device?

the account by default expires after 24 hours so i dont delete it. once we go live with it i would assume leaving the account would not cause any issue.

but to try and rectify this issue yes i did delete the account as well as the endpoint(my test machine) from clearpass db.

hope this answers your question

• 18.  RE: Captive Portal Not working

Posted Mar 26, 2018 07:36 PM

Again, depending upon your config, your inactive clients' session can stay on controller forever. If a client has a sesson on controller and he tries to connect, Controller wont authenticate him again and will be allowed access to the network.