Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Cisco Switch Config Backup

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Cisco Switch Config Backup

Posted Mar 02, 2012 10:25 AM

I'm wondering if there is a way to backup the configuration of a Cisco Catalyst switch using Airwave. I currently can't find a way to do this using Airwave. Am I missing something or is this not a feature of Airwave? Would anyone else find it useful if Airwave could backup swich configs and store them in some sort of repository?

• 2.  RE: Cisco Switch Config Backup
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 05, 2012 04:15 AM

Whenever Airwave detects the configuration has changed on a device it will archive the device's previous configuration (you can configure "Archived Device Configurations" on the AMP Setup > General to choose how many archived configurations you want to store for each device). On a device's audit page you can use the "Show Archived Device Configuration" link to view some details about the archived configs, and you can use the "Compare device configuration" dropdowns to see the differences between two past configurations. In Airwave 7.5, the "Archived Device Configuration" table on the audit page will also provide a link to display the entire raw contents of the previous config.

• 3.  RE: Cisco Switch Config Backup

Posted Mar 05, 2012 11:43 AM

So I created a template for my switch group and enabled auditing. I now see that it's backing up the configurations each time I make a change. The only issue I have to figure out now is, how do I get Airwave to not display a configuration mis-match each time I make a configuration change on my switch. For example, I don't want airwave to notify or display to me each time I make a change to a Cisco switch port.  Have any suggestions? 

Can't wait for AirWave 7.5 to come out. Being able to view the full archived configurations is exactly what I'm looking for.

• 4.  RE: Cisco Switch Config Backup

Posted Mar 05, 2012 08:20 PM

Currently there is no way to both archive configs and disable auditing (config archiving happens as part of the auditing process). You can hide the "Mismatched" indicator in the header at the top, does that help? :)

• 5.  RE: Cisco Switch Config Backup

Posted Mar 06, 2012 11:16 AM

Sort of. The good thing now is that I can manage the configs. I'll have to live with the "mismatched" counter being incorrect. Thanks for the help.