Wired Intelligent Edge (Campus Switching and Routing)

Highlighted
MVP Expert

Clarification on the Aruba CX 6300 switch series

Hi gurus,

I need some clarification on the new Aruba CX 6300 switch series. Is it positioned as an access, aggregation or core switch? I see is positioned as access, aggregation and core switch in many Aruba official documentation:

The Aruba CX 6300 switch series is a modern, flexible and intelligent family of stackable switches ideal for enterprise network access, aggregation and core.

Be prepared to deliver the digital experiences of the
future with the Aruba CX 6300 Switch Series – a modern,
flexible and intelligent family of stackable switches
ideal for enterprise edge access, aggregation and
core deployments.

But in other parts of the documentation states it is catalogued as an access (aggregation in some cases) switch:

...the 6300 switches provide industry leading monitoring and troubleshooting capabilities for the access layer.

And the same happens with the environment, some documentation says it can be used in the data center, but other documentation says it is built for the campus:

...the stackable 6300 switches are part of the Aruba CX switching portfolio, designed for today's enterprise campus, branch and data center networks.

The CX 6300 is ideal for those customers that are looking for access switching in a stackable form factor. There is a 10 gig SFP+ model as well that would be ideal for aggregation in the campus.

As you can see, very confusing. How can I explain to customer the position of this switch if Aruba itself is confused about it, or at least the documentation is very ambiguous. I want to believe the documentation will be clearer in the future.

What do you think?

Regards,

Julián

Highlighted
MVP Guru

Re: Clarification on the Aruba CX 6300 switch series

AFAIK, datasheets apart:

• Aruba CX 6300 was declared as "suitable for campus access and small campus/branch core" (Campus Access and Small Campus Aggregation or Core).
  • Aruba CX 6400 was declared as "suitable for campus access, aggregation, core, and datacenter spine, leaf, ToR, EoR, core" (Campus Access, Campus Aggregation, Campus Core, Datacenter Core/Spine and Datacenter EoR/ToR).
Highlighted
MVP Expert

Yeah,

Everything points out CX 6300 is for campus access and small core, and not for the data center. Just the datasheet and other documentation is very ambiguous.

Regards,

Julián

Highlighted
MVP Guru

I agree with you...Aruba should correct those sentences on relevant document to avoid confusion and incorrect usage (despite what Aruba writes nobody will prevent anybody to deploy - correctly or incorrectly - a Switch in a particular context/layer...I mean...switch series features - and their lacking - are the real stoppers here...so, yes, it's true that on can claim that Aruba 6300F/M can be deployed on a Core on a Small Business but that series will lack and will always lack features designed - and required - specifically for a Core deployed on a Datacenter otherwise why having 6300, 6400, 83x0 and 8400?).

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: