Wired Intelligent Edge (Campus Switching and Routing)

Aruba Employee

Configure Virtual Switching Framework (VSF) in 2 steps

Did you know you can configure VSF in 2 steps?

With 2 Aruba 5400R switches (2x5406R or 2x5412R), both with a factory-default configuration, you can configure VSF in 2 steps.

Step 1:

• Add ports to the VSF link on 1st switch - Enable VSF and assign a domain
    • (config)# vsf member 1 link 1 A1
    • (config)# vsf enable domain 1

Step 2: 

• Verify 2nd switch has a factory-default configuration and connect 2nd switch to the VSF port on 1st switch 
    • 2nd switch will automatically enable VSF and add the connected port to the VSF link

Learn more about Virtual Switching Framework in the ArubaOS-Switch Management and Configuration Guide K/KA/KB.16.01 here.

New Contributor

Re: Configure Virtual Switching Framework (VSF) in 2 steps

,Hi,

Can't we configure VRF with 1G ports ?

what would be the limitations ?

Occasional Contributor II

Hi mithun_raam, 

I assume you mean VSF and not VRF as they are two different technologies.

Only 10g and 40g ports are supported as VSF ports on the 5400R switch.

Thanks, 

Justin

fiq
New Contributor

Hi,  any roudmap VSF for 3810? is better standardize stacking via VSF for 3810 as support dac cable with sfp+ port. The spec also high differ with 2930F. 

All commware switch series support IRF if the switch support SFP+ with DAC cable. Doesnt make sense if 2930F support VSF, 3810 didnt support VSF. Spec lower than 2930 + not full layer 3 features. 

Hopefully you can rise up this issue to RND

New Contributor

Hi fiq,

We currently do not have plan to add VSF to 3810.  The 3810 has plug-n-play high-performance back-plane stacking and full L3 capability.  Thanks for sharing your feedback though; I will take this into consideration.

Regards,

Kai Chang

PLM, Aruba Networks

fiq
New Contributor

Hi Kchang,

Thanks for your feedback. Any option to make it as single IP management without used backplane stacking module. Something like HPE 2530 stacking. Or maybe can provide me beta firmware 

New Contributor

What requirements are there on the SFP+ Cables? I have used Passive Cables before and they dont seem to be able to establish a link with a Passive SFP+ cable.  does it have to be an active cable?

New Contributor

Decent article. One question though, we currently have 2 separate 5406 running stuffed with modules operating without VSF. We have a disaster site coming up in a few months and would like vsf enable them for enabling redundant connections to the other DR site.  I know about the v3 and firmware requirement but if both modules have to run factory config when enabling vsf then we have some work redesigning all firewalls, netscaler, cisco etc. Do both switches need to run factory configuration?

Regards

Snakkes

New Contributor

I have THREE 2930F switches and i want to configure Stacking (VSF) between them. Can anyone guide me the steps needs to be taken for this and what command needs to be run on each switch for stacking?

Thanks alot

Umer

Aruba Employee

Greetings!

Once you have the second VSF member up and running per the instructions in the first post, use the following command to configure a second VSF link on the new member:

switch(config)# vsf member 2 link 2 <port>

Once this is done, connect the cable from the selected port on member 2 to the desired port on member 3, then power on the third switch. Once it boots, it should detect the VSF domain and automatically reboot to join the fabric.

Once the second boot is complete and the switch is a VSF member, you can add an additional link between members 1 and 3 to form a ring topology, so that the failure of any single VSF link or chassis will not result in a split stack.

MATTHEW FERN
TECHNICAL MARKETING ENGINEER, WIRED INTELLIGENT EDGE

Aruba, a Hewlett Packard Enterprise company

8000 FOOTHILLS BLVD  |  ROSEVILLE, CA 95747
T: 916.540.1759  |  E: mfern@hpe.com
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: