Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Configure Vlans, LACP and trunking on 2930f switches

This thread has been viewed 83 times
  • 1.  Configure Vlans, LACP and trunking on 2930f switches

Posted May 12, 2020 09:14 PM

Hi There,

Can someone please explain how to assign ports to vlans on aruba switches, configure lacp and trunking. I know trunking on cisco means something else but I want to achieve same desired result.

Management vlan is 100,

1) I want to assign ports to different vlans, do I need to assign port to vlan 100 as well.

2) How do I configure trunking(as in cisco) to pass multiple vlans

3) Lacp configuration, I have got 2 ports to put into lacp port 1/49 and 1/50. Please share the steps if possible.

4) Is STP is mandatory we have core switch from aruba 3810 but there is no STP enabled, I'm afraid If I deploy these switches STP loop might happen. 

Please guide me I'm kind of stuck here have gone through couple of documents but still confused. Any help will be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance.

Rish

• 2.  RE: Configure Vlans, LACP and trunking on 2930f switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 12, 2020 11:33 PM

hi rishabhm,

Welcome to the show. 

First of all, what kind of switches are we talking about? Can be more specific on that. 

also, have a look at this CLI guide, comparing cisco switches to ours:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c04793912 

BR

Florian

• 3.  RE: Configure Vlans, LACP and trunking on 2930f switches

Posted May 12, 2020 11:35 PM

Hi Florian,

Its 2930f switch 48 Poe+

• 4.  RE: Configure Vlans, LACP and trunking on 2930f switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 12, 2020 11:50 PM

ok, thanks for the clarification. I'm running this series in my lab as well. 

These switches do not follow the concept of access and trunk switches. You simply assign VLANs to ports, either untagged (would be like an access VLAN or native VLAN) or tagged (would be a trunk). 

Let's assume you want to assign a VLAN to a port that should connect clients. you would simply add the port to the VLAN like this:

vlan 102
       name "Client Devices"
       untagged 1/2,1/5
       exit

To assign this VLAN on an uplink you would use the tagged key word like this:

vlan 102
       name "Client Devices"
       tagged 1/8
       exit

There is no need to assign the management VLAN to ports, except for the uplink. If you need to assign multiple tagged VLAN's on the uplink, you simply add those tagged to the same port as well. you can have one untagged VLAN and multiple tagged VLAN on a port. 

A link aggregation (we call this a trunk and this makes it confusing) is very simple:

trunk 1/1,1/2 trk1 lacp

The command above would create a dynamic (LACP based) link aggregation. 

you then assign VLAN's (tagged or untagged) to the trunk port, in this case, trk1. trk1 to trkx is predefined and the x is platform dependent. 

Regarding STP, this is really dependent on your setup. In newer deployments, using VSF, you do not need spanning tree, as you will do not have loops. Some customers enable spanning tree to avoid loops during failure situations. 

If you do not use VSF and you have multiple redundant uplinks, it would make sense to enable spanning tree. But there is no general answer to this question. It really depends on your environment and how you set it up. 

• 5.  RE: Configure Vlans, LACP and trunking on 2930f switches

Posted May 13, 2020 01:02 AM

Thanks Florian, thats useful. Just to confirm

I have vlan called VLAN 103 name Sales, now I want to assign port 3 to this vlan this is how I'm going to do it? or

Config# interface e 3

Config# untagged vlan 103

and for LACP lets say 2 ports 1/49 1/50 connect to the core switch using SFP+ module

how do i propogate all vlans through this lacp trunk. 

• 6.  RE: Configure Vlans, LACP and trunking on 2930f switches
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 13, 2020 01:17 AM

@rishabhm wrote:

Thanks Florian, thats useful. Just to confirm

I have vlan called VLAN 103 name Sales, now I want to assign port 3 to this vlan this is how I'm going to do it? or

Config# interface e 3

Config# untagged vlan 103

that is correct. 

@rishabhm wrote:

and for LACP lets say 2 ports 1/49 1/50 connect to the core switch using SFP+ module

how do i propogate all vlans through this lacp trunk. 

first, to create the trunk:

trunk 1/49,1/50 trk1 lacp

Assign VLAN's to the trunk:

interface trk1

tagged vlan 10-20,25

untagged vlan 30

first, we add VLAN 10 to 20 and 25 as tagged VLANs to the trunk and then VLAN 30 untagged (native). just as an example. 

• 7.  RE: Configure Vlans, LACP and trunking on 2930f switches

Posted May 13, 2020 03:35 AM

Ok. So in my case default vlan will be 1, although management is on vlan 100. 

And is it necessary to add untagged vlan in the trunk? lets say vlan 1 in my case. 

• 8.  RE: Configure Vlans, LACP and trunking on 2930f switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 13, 2020 01:05 PM

I think, If you remove an untagged VLAN from a port (other then VLAN 1) the port will be set to VLAN 1 untagged. That is the reason, why we say, you should not use VLAN 1 for anything productive. 

If you do not add a VLAN to a link aggregation untagged, VLAN 1 will be the untagged VLAN on the link aggregation. 

If you like to remove VLAN 1 from the link aggregation you can use this command "no untagged port". But the link aggregation needs to have at least one tagged VLAN before you can use this command. 

It works also on a normal port, which is not part of a link aggregation. 

It would be the equivalent to not have a native VLAN in cisco devices. 

• 9.  RE: Configure Vlans, LACP and trunking on 2930f switches

Posted May 13, 2020 01:11 AM

Also I would appreciate if you can guide on these following as well. HPE document is not proven very helpful to me so far and I was looking for savior like you.

1) Command to configuring SSL for web management using authorized CA.

2) IP DHCP-SNOOPING - is it good to have this configured on interface basis or vlan as I have got dhcp server running on 2016

3)dhcp-relay - My core switch is already acting as relay do I need to configure it on access switch as well if yes than I have to configure ip-helper address on this switch.

Thanks,

Rish