Wired Intelligent Edge (Campus Switching and Routing)

This community is currently in a read-only state due to a maintenance window. For more info click here
Highlighted
Contributor I

Configuring vlan ports

Still getting used to working with Aruba switches. I want to create another vlan. I didn't configure the switches originally, but, the vlan I need to create is similar to vlan 9 in the attached image. It has Trk1 tagged. I'm not sure how to add Trk1 to vlan 16. I tried through the web ui, but when I add Trk1 as tagged and hit Save, it tells me there were no changes. Also, the previous vlans have ipv6 disabled. In the web ui I tried to disable ipv6 in vlan 16, but after I save it, it still shows. Thank you for your help.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
MVP Guru

Re: Configuring vlan ports

Hi! please get used to work with CLI (Web based interface is mostly to show you some settings instead of permitting you to modify them).

@mg14 wrote:  the vlan I need to create is similar to vlan 9 in the attached image. It has Trk1 tagged.

VLAN 9 exists and logical interface Trk1 (aggregation of some physical ports) was made tagged member of that VLAN id.

To create a new VLAN - say you need VLAN id 16 - use the CLI command (config mode):

vlan 16

name <place-a-descripiton-of-this-vlan-here>

exit

it enters you in the VLAN 16 context (from which you can exit with the command exit).

To tag Trk1 with VLAN 16, inside the VLAN 16 context simply:

vlan 16

tagged trk1

exit

write memory (to save)

Done.

The point is: you will need also some access ports as untagged members of that new VLAN, isn't it? otherwise why transport it over the Trk1 interface?

To see the VLANs membership of a particular physical port/logical interface use:

show vlan port <port-id>/<trk-id> details

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Type "no ipv6 enable" in required VLANs (through CLI)

All Replies
Highlighted
MVP Guru

Hi! please get used to work with CLI (Web based interface is mostly to show you some settings instead of permitting you to modify them).

@mg14 wrote:  the vlan I need to create is similar to vlan 9 in the attached image. It has Trk1 tagged.

VLAN 9 exists and logical interface Trk1 (aggregation of some physical ports) was made tagged member of that VLAN id.

To create a new VLAN - say you need VLAN id 16 - use the CLI command (config mode):

vlan 16

name <place-a-descripiton-of-this-vlan-here>

exit

it enters you in the VLAN 16 context (from which you can exit with the command exit).

To tag Trk1 with VLAN 16, inside the VLAN 16 context simply:

vlan 16

tagged trk1

exit

write memory (to save)

Done.

The point is: you will need also some access ports as untagged members of that new VLAN, isn't it? otherwise why transport it over the Trk1 interface?

To see the VLANs membership of a particular physical port/logical interface use:

show vlan port <port-id>/<trk-id> details

Highlighted
Contributor I

I'm working through web based and CLI to get used to the settings and commands. Used 3com switches for years and just recently made a transition to Aruba. I've got some of the commands down that I need, but then run into some issues along the way. Thank you for your help, appreciate it.

Highlighted
MVP Guru

Hi! glad you're familiarizing with ArubaOS-Switch CLI (an enhanced/developed HP ProVision CLI).

@mg14 wrote: I've got some of the commands down that I need, but then run into some issues along the way. Thank you for your help, appreciate it.

What issues exactly?

Highlighted
Contributor I

Just getting used to commands. Stuck on the ipv6 disabling now. The person that setup the switches disabled ipv6 on each vlan. I created two vlans and ipv6 is enabled and I can't figure out how to disable ipv6 on the two vlans.

Highlighted

Type "no ipv6 enable" in required VLANs (through CLI)

Highlighted
Contributor I

Appreciate everyone's help with my questions.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: