Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Configuring vlan ports

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  Configuring vlan ports

Posted Jul 25, 2020 11:13 PM
      |   view attached

Still getting used to working with Aruba switches. I want to create another vlan. I didn't configure the switches originally, but, the vlan I need to create is similar to vlan 9 in the attached image. It has Trk1 tagged. I'm not sure how to add Trk1 to vlan 16. I tried through the web ui, but when I add Trk1 as tagged and hit Save, it tells me there were no changes. Also, the previous vlans have ipv6 disabled. In the web ui I tried to disable ipv6 in vlan 16, but after I save it, it still shows. Thank you for your help.

• 2.  RE: Configuring vlan ports
    Best Answer

MVP GURU
    Posted Jul 26, 2020 06:45 PM

Hi! please get used to work with CLI (Web based interface is mostly to show you some settings instead of permitting you to modify them).

@mg14 wrote:  the vlan I need to create is similar to vlan 9 in the attached image. It has Trk1 tagged.

VLAN 9 exists and logical interface Trk1 (aggregation of some physical ports) was made tagged member of that VLAN id.

To create a new VLAN - say you need VLAN id 16 - use the CLI command (config mode):

vlan 16

name <place-a-descripiton-of-this-vlan-here>

exit

it enters you in the VLAN 16 context (from which you can exit with the command exit).

To tag Trk1 with VLAN 16, inside the VLAN 16 context simply:

vlan 16

tagged trk1

exit

write memory (to save)

Done.

The point is: you will need also some access ports as untagged members of that new VLAN, isn't it? otherwise why transport it over the Trk1 interface?

To see the VLANs membership of a particular physical port/logical interface use:

show vlan port <port-id>/<trk-id> details

• 3.  RE: Configuring vlan ports

Posted Jul 26, 2020 08:33 PM

I'm working through web based and CLI to get used to the settings and commands. Used 3com switches for years and just recently made a transition to Aruba. I've got some of the commands down that I need, but then run into some issues along the way. Thank you for your help, appreciate it.

• 4.  RE: Configuring vlan ports

MVP GURU
    Posted Jul 27, 2020 05:22 AM

Hi! glad you're familiarizing with ArubaOS-Switch CLI (an enhanced/developed HP ProVision CLI).

@mg14 wrote: I've got some of the commands down that I need, but then run into some issues along the way. Thank you for your help, appreciate it.

What issues exactly?

• 5.  RE: Configuring vlan ports

Posted Jul 29, 2020 07:17 PM

Just getting used to commands. Stuck on the ipv6 disabling now. The person that setup the switches disabled ipv6 on each vlan. I created two vlans and ipv6 is enabled and I can't figure out how to disable ipv6 on the two vlans.

• 6.  RE: Configuring vlan ports
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 30, 2020 02:26 AM

Type "no ipv6 enable" in required VLANs (through CLI)

• 7.  RE: Configuring vlan ports

Posted Jul 30, 2020 07:32 AM

Appreciate everyone's help with my questions.