Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Connection between LRM and LR transceivers on SM fiber

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Connection between LRM and LR transceivers on SM fiber

Posted Feb 07, 2019 08:56 AM

Hi all,

On 5400 chassis I have some spare LRM transceivers and SM fiber infrastructure and I would like to connect 2930F switches. As 2930F are not supporting LRM, is it possible to use LR transceivers on the switch and connect it to the 5400 chassis, that is with existing LRM transceivers?

• 2.  RE: Connection between LRM and LR transceivers on SM fiber
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 12, 2019 11:54 AM

Hi,

You can find transceivers specifications on this link:
    https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=a00028947en_us

As a general rule, use the same transceiver specification on both ends of the link.

Your scenario is atypical: 10G-LR on one end and 10G-LRM on the other.

You will have to try and verify if the link works properly with the risk of damage the trasnceivers.

If I take the risk, I would use 9/125 um Single Mode Fiber (SMF) and a distance below 300m.

You would have to verify that the received power on each end is in the range of the supported power of the transceiver of that end, just to validate if it is enough power in order to detect the signal or just not to damage the transceiver.

See values on tables 23 and 24 on the link above.

Regards

• 3.  RE: Connection between LRM and LR transceivers on SM fiber

Posted Apr 17, 2019 04:47 AM

An update on this topic that I started.

I ordered an LR SFP+ on 2930F and a link of around 20meters between LRM on 5400 and the LR on 2930F is working fine for now.

• 4.  RE: Connection between LRM and LR transceivers on SM fiber

Posted Apr 18, 2019 10:20 PM

Hi,

Have you tried checking interface errors with command: show interfaces [port-list] ?
    These transceivers support DOM - Digital Optical Monitoring, so you can see actual Tx and Rx power at both ends, verify they are in the correct ranges for each transceiver according to the transceiver guide. The command is: show interfaces transceiver [port-list] detail.
    Keep an eye on these parameters to be sure there is no problem for some time
    Regards