Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

DHCP Snooping - Why would I want to protect all the configured VLANs

This thread has been viewed 21 times
  • 1.  DHCP Snooping - Why would I want to protect all the configured VLANs

Posted Mar 29, 2019 10:59 AM

Hello,

I have the following DHCP snooping configuration on my Aruba 2930F 8-port switch:

2930F-SW01# show dhcp-snooping         

DHCP Snooping Information

DHCP Snooping              : Yes
      Enabled VLANs              : 1 12 14-16 18-19 71 75 80                                
      Verify MAC address         : Yes
      Option 82 untrusted policy : drop   
      Option 82 insertion        : Yes
      Option 82 remote-id        : mac      
      Store lease database       : Not configured

Authorized Servers
      ------------------

Max     Current Bindings
       Port  Trust  Bindings  Static   Dynamic
      -----  -----  --------  ----------------
        2     Yes      -        -        -   
        3     No       -        1        -   

Ports 1,4-10 are untrusted

and the static bindings:

2930F-SW01# show dhcp-snooping binding 

MacAddress        IP              VLAN Interface Time Left
      ----------------- --------------- ---- --------- ---------
      b827eb-26bb60     192.168.18.2    18   3         static   
      b827eb-b94579     192.168.18.1    18   2         static   

One Raspberry Pi running the DHCP server is patched into interface 2, and another one, running the DNS server (Pi-Hole), is patched into interface 3.

With this configuration, a Linux PC (arch-laptop) patched into interface 1 cannot get a dynamically assigned IP address from the DHCP server. Below is an excerpt of the "isc-dhcp-server status" command:

Mar 29 14:36:22 dhcp-server dhcpd[1150]: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:50:b6:45:d4:4a (arch-laptop) via eth0.14
    Mar 29 14:36:22 dhcp-server dhcpd[1150]: DHCPOFFER on 192.168.14.4 to 00:50:b6:45:d4:4a (arch-laptop) via eth0.14

So, the laptop is offered an IP which it doesn't want to acknowledge.

Now, just a bit of background: the DHCP server has scopes configured for VLANs 14-16, 71, and 75 (only these VLANs accommodate DHCP clients). The arch-laptop client is patched into interface 1 which is untagged for VLAN 14.

If I completely disable DHCP snooping on the switch, or if I disable it only for VLAN 14, the laptop happily gets, and keeps the IP from the server.

To be honest, I am not really sure why the DHcP snooping has to be configured on each VLAN intended to be protected. Could anyone tell me where I am wrong? There is no question that I AM wrong... (sorry if this has been discussed before).

Cheerio!

• 2.  RE: DHCP Snooping - Why would I want to protect all the configured VLANs
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 11, 2019 04:32 PM
    Which device is doing the DHCP relay? I’ve seen some issues in the past when using the authorized DHCP server option in the switches. It’s not required to specify the DHCP server ip address. It’s enough to trust the uplink. Can you try to remove the authorized DHCP server ip’s?

• 3.  RE: DHCP Snooping - Why would I want to protect all the configured VLANs

Posted Apr 16, 2019 10:58 AM

Hi Willem,

Thanks for your feedback. There is no need for DHCP relay as both the DHCP server and the DHCP clients are patched into the same 2930F switch.

I did follow your advice and, with DHCP-snooping configured on the VLANs with DHCP clients, I removed the authorized DHCP server IP and preserving the trusted link:

no dhcp-snooping authorized-server 192.168.18.1
    dhcp-snooping trust ethernet 2

It seems it's working.

Thanks!

• 4.  RE: DHCP Snooping - Why would I want to protect all the configured VLANs

Posted Sep 21, 2019 10:13 AM

What is the AOS-CX cli equivalent for dhcp-snooping ?

Thanks.

• 5.  RE: DHCP Snooping - Why would I want to protect all the configured VLANs

Posted Sep 23, 2019 09:21 AM

I have just looked into the CLI Guide for ArubaOS-CX 10.03 and into the release notes for the same OS and I couldn't find any reference to DHCP snooping.

The Aruba 8400 switch I am running as VM has no command for DHCP snooping either.

I may be wrong but it looks like DHCP snooping is not implemented into ArubaOS-CX.

• 6.  RE: DHCP Snooping - Why would I want to protect all the configured VLANs

Posted Sep 23, 2019 12:52 PM

Apparently DHCP snooping is coming to ArubaOS-CX in the next release: 10.4

• 7.  RE: DHCP Snooping - Why would I want to protect all the configured VLANs

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 24, 2019 06:39 PM

DHCP Snooping is more "Access" Feature (and not a DC feature...)

• 8.  RE: DHCP Snooping - Why would I want to protect all the configured VLANs

Posted Jan 30, 2020 10:50 AM

hi,

Could you show me the "sh run" of the device on which you have configured the shcp snooping? I want to configure it  and I think I'm missing something.

My device is an Aruba 2930.

Regards and thank you very much.

• 9.  RE: DHCP Snooping - Why would I want to protect all the configured VLANs
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 30, 2020 12:34 PM

Hi,

I'm afraid I can't as I disabled the feature long ago.

# show dhcp-snooping 

DHCP Snooping Information

DHCP Snooping              : No 

Sorry about this.

• 10.  RE: DHCP Snooping - Why would I want to protect all the configured VLANs

Posted Jan 30, 2020 06:27 PM

hi,

I get it. And if I send you the configuration file of my switch, could you tell me if it's ok? If you can do it, you could send it to an email or where you tell me.

Greetings and thank you very much.

• 11.  RE: DHCP Snooping - Why would I want to protect all the configured VLANs

Posted Feb 01, 2020 05:46 AM

You would get more help from the community if you are opening a new thread describing your specific issue but if you want, you can send me a private message with your enquiry although I can't promise a quick reply.