Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Doubt about rolling upgrade step (from ArubaOS-CX 10.01 to 10.02)

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Doubt about rolling upgrade step (from ArubaOS-CX 10.01 to 10.02)

MVP GURU
    Posted Feb 14, 2019 05:44 PM
    Scenario: Rolling upgrade from ArubaOS-CX 10.01 (say 10.01.0030) to 10.02 (say 10.020010).

Two doubts reading ArubaOS-CX 10.02.0010 in preparation to a scheduled upgrade:

Why the no keepalive command is needed to be executed on both VSX members as a preparatory step before booting new software version? ...is it still necessary if only VSX LAGs are used to downlink hosts/devices?

How can the ISL Keepalive be established automatically again after the upgrade (as written on ArubaOS-CX VSX Guide for 10.02: "Keepalive is restored later when the VSX configuration is applied" Step 3 page 8) if it is then requested to save configuration after the issue of no keepalive command (Step 5 page 9)? ...there isn't a following step on the described rolling upgrade procedure where the keepalive command is required to be reapplied to reestabilish the ISL Keepalive again.

Am I wrong? Am I misunderstanding listed rolling upgrade preliminary steps?

Side note: just an example, I really don't understand the "VSX LAG secondary switch" terminology used in VSX Guide...shouldn't it simply be "VSX secondary switch"?

• 2.  RE: Doubt about rolling upgrade step (from ArubaOS-CX 10.01 to 10.02)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 15, 2019 04:56 AM

Hi Davide,

I suspect that this was kept from requirement of first version 10.0.

I performed many VSX upgrades without removing keepalive and it does not impact failover time. I'll check internally about this sepcific point in the release note.

• 3.  RE: Doubt about rolling upgrade step (from ArubaOS-CX 10.01 to 10.02)

MVP GURU
    Posted Feb 15, 2019 06:11 AM
    Hi Vincent, I did that too on every update performed since first ArubaOS-CX 10.01.0001 of July 2018 (once I first deployed our VSX)...without any issue!

That's why reading about the no keepalive step was a little bit worrying.

Interestingly ArubaOS-CX 10.02.0001 or ArubaOS-CX 10.02.0010 Release Notes didn't mention about the no keepalive step.

• 4.  RE: Doubt about rolling upgrade step (from ArubaOS-CX 10.01 to 10.02)
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 25, 2019 10:10 AM

I got confirmation that this point was specific for 10.0 to 10.1 migration. (no mclag keepalive). The documentation will reflect this correction soon. Thanks !

• 5.  RE: Doubt about rolling upgrade step (from ArubaOS-CX 10.01 to 10.02)

MVP GURU
    Posted Feb 25, 2019 12:05 PM
    That's good. Thank you Vincent.