Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Homelab question

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Homelab question

Posted Sep 30, 2019 01:42 PM

Hello,

I am trying to connect two servers to an Aruba 2920, which then connects to a router, which THEN connects to a client. I want to use the client to 1. manage the Aruba switch and 2. RDP/SSH into the servers.

My client can logically see the switch, but nothing connected to its ports (the servers). I have DCHP enabled on the servers and the client machine. It is also enabled on the switch and the router.

What am I missing here? The ports are open, I did a factory reset on the switch so its all on one VLAN, and nothing is blocked on ACL. 

• 2.  RE: Homelab question

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 30, 2019 02:19 PM

Hi, written this way: "I am trying to connect two servers to an Aruba 2920, which then connects to a router, which THEN connects to a client" looks like the Client is connected to the Router. Is it correct?

• 3.  RE: Homelab question

Posted Sep 30, 2019 02:33 PM

Hi Parnassus,

Yes, the client is connected to the router...only because it was initially a regular PC that connected to the router for an internet connection. Should I not have it on the router now?

• 4.  RE: Homelab question

MVP GURU
    Posted Oct 01, 2019 03:32 AM

Well, it's all about your desired network topology.

If you began with just a Router (with switched LAN ports to which one host was connected, I suppose) and now you're moving to a more complex scenario in which that Router is connected to a Managed Switch like the HP/Aruba 2920...you may (re)consider your "internal" connectivity: is the Router your gateway to the outside world? if yes then why not to connect all "internal" hosts to the Switch instead of connecting them both to the Switch and the Router? if this is the desired approach then you can start to plan better your scenario (you can use VLANs on your 2920 enabling IP Routing, you can use a Transit VLAN to let your 2920 and your Router to speak together using that Transit VLAN, you can create routes on your Router to let the traffic back to your internal VLANs...OR...you can stick with a really flat network where your hosts and your Router are in the very same VLAN). It's a matter of understanding your level of involment...but...considering you're speaking about a Home Lab...I think VLANs are the way to go...so you can experiment a lot more than using a very flat approach.