Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

How can I find out what device is connected to a particular port on an S2500 switch?

This thread has been viewed 19 times
  • 1.  How can I find out what device is connected to a particular port on an S2500 switch?

Posted Jun 11, 2014 06:00 PM

I am looking for a way to identify mac or IP addresses of devices on a particular switch port.

• 2.  RE: How can I find out what device is connected to a particular port on an S2500 switch?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 11, 2014 06:01 PM
    show user-table | include 0/0/1
    show mac-address-table | include 0/0/1

Sent from Windows Mail

• 3.  RE: How can I find out what device is connected to a particular port on an S2500 switch?

Posted Jun 11, 2014 10:47 PM

After obtaining the MAC you can get the IP if the S2500 is performing routing or if it has a vlan interface in the same VLAN as the client.

(controller)# show arp | inc <mac>

• 4.  RE: How can I find out what device is connected to a particular port on an S2500 switch?

Posted Jun 11, 2014 11:16 PM

if the device connected to port supports LLDP or CDP, 

try "show neighbour".

#show neigh

Capability codes: (R)Router, (B)Bridge, (A)Access Point, (P)Phone, (S)Station
    (r)Repeater, (O)Other
    Neighbor Devices Information
    ----------------------------
    Local Intf Chassis ID Protocol Capability Remote Intf Expiry (Secs) System Name
    ---------- ---------- -------- ---------- ----------- ------------- -----------
    GE0/0/44 6c:f3:7f:c4:0b:5c LLDP B:A 6c:f3:7f:c4:0b:5c 108 6c:f3:7f:c4:0b:5c
    GE0/0/47 00:0b:86:6a:b2:40 LLDP B:R gigabitethernet0/0/11 99 LAB-INSTANT

Number of neighbors: 2