Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

How can I locate the source of a spanning tree TCN?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  How can I locate the source of a spanning tree TCN?

Posted Apr 17, 2019 08:23 AM

We have S2500 MASs at our network edge. These switches connect IAPs, user wired computers, cameras, IP phones and some HVAC panels. Every so often I get notifications from Airwave that a topology change has occurred in one or another of our switch stacks. I don't know how to interpret these messages because, as far as I'm aware, no topology change has taken place. The way I understand it, there would have to be a physical or administrative breaking of a link to trigger a TCN. Is that correct? If so, I don't know why I'd be seeing these notifications when there's been no change that I can identify.

Switches are running firmware version 7.4.1.8; Airwave is version 8.2.7. Also, I see no such TCNs from our other network monitoring products (Solar Winds NPM and PRTG). Any help is appreciated.

• 2.  RE: How can I locate the source of a spanning tree TCN?

Posted Apr 23, 2019 08:25 AM

Do you have PortFast, BPDU Guard and BPDU Filter configured on all edge ports on these switches?

• 3.  RE: How can I locate the source of a spanning tree TCN?

Posted Apr 24, 2019 03:44 PM

We do have those configured on user ports; however, the port that keeps flushing the MAC table because of an alleged topology change is a point-to-point link between a switch in the wiring closet and a stand-alone switch in another room. The ports on that link do not have portfast, BPDUGuard and BPDU filtering enabled.

• 4.  RE: How can I locate the source of a spanning tree TCN?

Posted Apr 25, 2019 08:23 AM

Do you see any STP messages in the log on the other switch? Do the two switches have the same STP setup?