Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all
This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  ISL on VSX

Posted May 21, 2019 09:54 AM
    Hi friends.
    Is there any restriction about the number of member links of the ISL in a VSX deployment? ... I will use 40GE ports for ISL.
    Regards

• 2.  RE: ISL on VSX

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 21, 2019 10:21 AM

ISL has only one link, that is either a physical link or a LAG.

Then up to 8 links can configured part of the LAG.

Consequently up to 8 physical links can support ISL communication.

8x10 or 8x40 or 8x100.

• 3.  RE: ISL on VSX

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 21, 2019 10:34 AM

The rule of thumb for ISL BW is to plan enough BW for a filure scenario

like supporting the uplink load over the ISL in case one of the uplink fails (this is one example among others). If you plan 1x40G uplink per VSX node to connect upstream, I would recommend to use 2x40G for ISL.

ISL protocol as such won't consumme a lot of BW.

• 4.  RE: ISL on VSX

Posted May 21, 2019 11:20 AM

Hi Vicent.

I have search de VSX configuration guide for the Aruba 8400 and have not found anything about ISL physical member links limit.

The only restiction I have found is about the VSX LAG:

"A VSX LAG supports a maximum of four member links per switch segment. A VSX LAG across a downstream switch can have at most a total of eight member links"

But it seems this talks about LAG between 2 core switches in VSX and a Distribution/Access Switch.

Regards

• 5.  RE: ISL on VSX
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 21, 2019 12:03 PM

Please refer to p10 of LAG config guide that mentions a LAG can have up to eight physical interfaces.

Please note that to create ISL connectivity you use one regular LAG,

that can have up to 8 ports.

The limit of 4 you mentioned is the number of physical ports you can assign on VSX primary and on VSX secondary, for a total of 8, in a VSX LAG.

• 6.  RE: ISL on VSX

MVP GURU
    Posted May 21, 2019 06:07 PM

As @vincent.giles mentioned above, since the VSX ISL can be deployed also using a LAG approach (so the resulting LAG is just a classic non Multi-Chassis LAG just a little bit special due its VSX ISL assigned role) then classic LAG's restrictions/requirements will apply...those ones include a maximum of 8 member interfaces for each LAG (and, I add, the maximum LAG Id number that can be assigned will be 128, IIRC <- there is a non written best practice that suggest to deploy the VSX ISL as LAG using the Id 128...but this detail is just beyond your initial question).

• 7.  RE: ISL on VSX

Posted May 22, 2019 10:45 AM

Thank you Vincent and Parnassus.

Pretty clear.

As you already said, creating an ISL makes reference to an LAG group, so, the limit is imposed by the capacity of the LAG group, in this case: 8 physical links per LAG group, as the LAG configuration guide says.

Here you can see an example of configuration so that anybody could understand what Vincent and Parnassus talk about:

---------------------------------------------

! LAG for Inter-Switch-Link
      interface lag 128
        no shutdown
        no routing
        lacp mode active
        vlan trunk native 10 tag
        vlan trunk allowed 10,20
      interface 1/1/2
        no shutdown
        mtu 2068
        lag 128
      interface 1/1/3
        no shutdown
        mtu 2068
        lag 128
        exit

! Inter-Switch-Link setting
      vsx
        inter-switch-link lag 128
        keepalive peer 1.1.2.2 source 1.1.2.1

---------------------------------------------------------

Steps:

• Create a LAG (LAG 128 in the example above)
    • Assign member ports to the LAG (interface 1/1/2 and interface 1/1/3)
    • Finally, tell the VSX that the ISL will use LAG 128.

Regards

• 8.  RE: ISL on VSX

MVP GURU
    Posted May 22, 2019 11:16 AM

Mine VSX ISL configuration actually is this one:

interface lag 128
        vsx-sync vlans
        description VSX-ISL-LAG128-Link
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 1 tag
        vlan trunk allowed all
        lacp mode active

VSX ISL Member Interfaces in my case are 4x40Gbps:

interface 1/1/49 
        description 8320-1-VSX-ISL-1-1-49
        no shutdown
        mtu 9198
        lag 128
    interface 1/1/50 
        description 8320-1-VSX-ISL-1-1-50
        no shutdown
        mtu 9198
        lag 128
    interface 1/1/52 
        description 8320-1-VSX-ISL-1-1-52
        no shutdown
        mtu 9198
        lag 128
    interface 1/1/53 
        description 8320-1-VSX-ISL-1-1-53
        no shutdown
        mtu 9198
        lag 128

VSX configuration includes:

vsx
        role primary
        keepalive peer 10.250.250.2 source 10.250.250.1 vrf VSX-ISL-Keepalive
        linkup-delay-timer 35

As you can see I lowered the default linkup-delay-timer to 35 seconds (pretty enough on my environment) and my dedicated VRF for VSX ISL Keepalive is called "VSX-ISL-Keepalive".

VSX Keepalive interface (actually just a single link) is:

interface 1/1/48 
        description ISL-Keepalive
        no shutdown
        vrf attach VSX-ISL-Keepalive
        ip address 10.250.250.1/30

even if I plan to use a 2 ports LAG.

• 9.  RE: ISL on VSX

Posted May 23, 2019 10:14 AM
    Hi Parnassus,

Thanks for sharing your configuration with us, it has more details than mine and it will be very helpful.
    Pals, finally the idea is the same, just with more details and suggestions from Parnassus.

Parnassus,

I would like to harden the keepalive link using a LAG group with 2 physical ports (using your configuration example), this would be my configuration for the primary vsx member, would you mind suggesting me any other add?:

interface lag 10
    description ISL-Keepalive
    no shutdown
    vrf attach VSX-ISL-Keepalive
    ip address 10.250.250.1/30
    lacp mode active

interface 1/1/1
    description 8320-1-ISL-Keepalive-1-1-1
    no shutdown
    mtu 9198
    lag 10

interface 1/1/48
    description 8320-1-ISL-Keepalive-1-1-48
    no shutdown
    mtu 9198
    lag 10

vsx
    role primary
    keepalive peer 10.250.250.2 source 10.250.250.1 vrf VSX-ISL-Keepalive
    linkup-delay-timer 35

Have a nice day pals

• 10.  RE: ISL on VSX

MVP GURU
    Posted May 23, 2019 10:39 AM

Hi!

I was discussing exactly that approach on the thread called ArubaOS-CX 10.01 VSX: Keep Alive deployed using a Layer 3 dynamic aggregation group? started during July 2018 (!)...time go by...and, finally, now I'm waiting four new J4858D SFP Transceivers to make that idea reality (actually my VSX ISL Keepalive single link is using two J4858C SFP Transceivers installed on both 1/1/48 interfaces).

• 11.  RE: ISL on VSX

Posted May 23, 2019 11:39 AM

Cool post.

Very similar configs.

My scenario is 02 buildings separated 350m.

Each building will deploy 01 Aruba 8400 in VSX configuration with the other one.

Customer used to have an OM4 fiber route between buildings (06 strands) but they had an accident and the 06 strands were broken. So,  implementing redundancy scheme requires 02 routes of fiber optics:

Route 01:

• Interface 1 on 8400-1 (10GE-SR) to Interface 1 on 8400-2 (10GE-SR) for ISL
    • Interface 2 on 8400-1 (1GE-SX) to Interface 2 on 8400-2 (1GE-SX) for Keep-Alive

Route 02:

• Interface 3 on 8400-1 (10GE-SR) to Interface 3 on 8400-2 (10GE-SR) for ISL
    • Interface 4 on 8400-1 (1GE-SX) to Interface 4 on 8400-2 (1GE-SX) for Keep-Alive

ISL: LAG 128 (Interfaces 1 and 3)

Keep-Alive: Lag 127 (Interfaces 2 and 4)

That way, if a similar accident happens and route 01 breaks, you always have route 02 working with both, a physical link for ISL and a physical link for keep-alive.

Some customers like banks are very exigent with redundancy for deployment.

Thanks a lot for you input.

Have a nice day.

• 12.  RE: ISL on VSX

MVP GURU
    Posted May 24, 2019 08:00 AM

Yeah, having two distinct well separated paths interconnecting two sites (you can extend the same approach inside a single DC!) is essential to have resiliency at every level (from the Power Supply modules, to Interface Modules, to Management Modules, Fans Modules, Copper/Fiber optic runs, Power Supply lines...and so on).

The point of having a VSX where the Primary is installed on one location and the VSX Secondary is installed on the other (even if well connected with dual redundant paths, each one following a different track) is OK...but you those amount of fiber optics cables can't be enough (for VSX ISL and for VSX ISL Keepalive), what's about all the VSX LAGs (aren't you planning them?) you're going to serve for Access/Distribution layers?

Maybe you have just left that detail hidden for sake of semplicity...in any case you will need a lot more fibers between your two sites.

• 13.  RE: ISL on VSX

Posted May 24, 2019 11:48 AM

Hi Parnassus,

Detail hidden for simplicity. VSX LAGs will be deployed towards 2930M stacks (02 different routes to each stack).

Thanks for your suggestions.

Have an excellent day.

• 14.  RE: ISL on VSX

Posted May 21, 2019 10:28 AM