Wired Intelligent Edge (Campus Switching and Routing)

Highlighted
MVP Guru

Is a new Aruba CX Switch series just around the corner?

Hi! Looking at latest Aruba Airwave 8.2.11.0 Supported Infrastructure Devices (April, 28th 2020) a new Aruba CX Switch series is listed: it's one named "Aruba CX 6200" (with a reference to ArubaOS-CX 10.5 software line ML.10.05.1000). Pretty much interesting.

Aruba_CX_6200_Switch_Series.png

A personal thought: are we ready to slowly start saying adieu at ArubaOS-Switch?

Highlighted

Re: Is a new Aruba CX Switch series just around the corner?

I've heard 6200F is going to be in the middle between 2930F and 9300F price wise (currently 6300F is 2x the price of 2930F). There's no 6200M at least for now so no dual psus.

We bought couple hundred 6300F but just got my hands on first few for labbing. Still don't know sure though what are the advantages over 2930F Mixing 6300M and 6300F of course and maybe we'll get something useful from the NAE but we'll see.

Highlighted
MVP Guru

\OT

So, in the end, you opted for Aruba CX 6300F instead of Aruba 2930F...probably Aruba CX 6200 will support Dynamic Segmentation too.

Just to speak what I dislike in seeing VSF re-engineered on ArubaOS-CX is a VSF implementation not developed to provide an orchestrated software update method (so it's all or nothing: want to update? do reboot the whole stack [*])...like VSF FSU (Aruba 5400R zl2 only)...the given reason to this point was it wasn't necessary considering the switch placement (Access)...still a missing thing to me...especially considering how advanced (and different) ArubaOS-CX is.

[*] You should know about that already having a lot of stacks to maintain, with that regard the ArubaOS-CX VSF is apparently implemented not to differently from well known ArubaOS-Switch VSF or Backplane Stacking implementations.

OT\

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor I

I realize this isn't the right place to say this
<rant>
But I agree 100% with voicing disappointment with how there isn't a way to do a seamless upgrade. We can upgrade our wireless controllers without any impact; we can upgrade our core/dist layers (VSX) without any disruption to the network. Yet, when we go to upgrade our edge layer, our wireless access goes down. 

Having a way to connect our 2 port uplink APs (335 as an example), both ports could be uplinked to different members of the stack, and then the members reboot one at a time. (Assuming the stack has 2 uplinks to distribution) you have a way to keep wireless online pretty much through all firmware updates. I'd even be okay with 2 separate stacks if they could do MCLag. 

I realize there probably isn't a lot of use cases, but having a way to keep the wireless online throughout any firmware upgrade at any level of the network would be great.

</rant>

Chris Wickline | Network Engineer | York College of Pennsylvania
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor II

Boy, I really miss my dual-sup 4500.

Always on availability on my access layer. Some with 3y+ uptime (only went down due to power shortage) with multiple upgrades and downgrades in-between. Mine's from 2011.

Yet, it's 2020 and a "modern" NOS software still can't get a hitless upgrade with 3 different equipment in a stack...

Highlighted
MVP Guru

@cwickline14 wrote: ...But I agree 100% with voicing disappointment with how there isn't a way to do a seamless upgrade. We can upgrade our wireless controllers without any impact; we can upgrade our core/dist layers (VSX) without any disruption to the network. Yet, when we go to upgrade our edge layer, our wireless access goes down. 

Yeah, it's what I meant (I wrote about this lack on ArubaOS-CX VSF implementation initially here, by commenting about new Aruba CX 6300F/M and their VSF feature, and also here explicitly asking about a possible ArubaOS-CX VSF FSU implementation).

@cwickline14 wrote: Having a way to connect our 2 port uplink APs (335 as an example), both ports could be uplinked to different members of the stack, and then the members reboot one at a time. (Assuming the stack has 2 uplinks to distribution) you have a way to keep wireless online pretty much through all firmware updates. I'd even be okay with 2 separate stacks if they could do MCLag. 

I realize there probably isn't a lot of use cases, but having a way to keep the wireless online throughout any firmware upgrade at any level of the network would be great.

Good point(s).

Highlighted
Aruba Employee

Hi,

As a workaround, and if you are ok with two separate stacks, then you possibly can get around this issue by terminating your APs in a planned manner across different stacks..

As such even if the stack goes down/reboots, other APs located in the same location will not be impacted..

Needless to say, the seamless wireless upgrade assumes that there is RF redundancy .. so you just need to take an extra step and ensure your "redundant" APs are terminated on different switches..

Highlighted
MVP Guru

Back on track.

It looks like the new Aruba CX 6200 Switch Series will be formed by these SKUs:

• JL724A Aruba 6200F 24G 4SFP+ Switch
  • JL725A Aruba 6200F 24G Class4 PoE 4SFP+ 370W Switch
  • JL726A Aruba 6200F 48G 4SFP+ Switch
  • JL727A Aruba 6200F 48G Class4 PoE 4SFP+ 370W Switch
  • JL728A Aruba 6200F 48G Class4 PoE 4SFP+ 740W Switch

List taken from the ArubaOS-CX 10.04.2000 Release Notes for Aruba CX 6200 (available on ASP).

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor I

They are posted them on the Aruba site here

Datasheet can be found here
https://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/ds/DS_6200Series.pdf

Chris Wickline | Network Engineer | York College of Pennsylvania
Highlighted

Hmm so now modular switches, 10G uplinks and less routing capacity it seems.

Same CPU and memory though so it's limited in the software.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: