Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Layer 3/core switches and traffic restrictions

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Layer 3/core switches and traffic restrictions

Posted Jan 10, 2020 06:15 AM
      |   view attached

I have a bit of a generic question to the community in regards to Aruba's layer 3 switching solutions.

I am predominately a VoIP engineer but working with a campus networking team who use mostly HP Aruba internally for switching.

I am investigating an issue where traffic on port 5060 UDP is being blocked all of a sudden and I am pretty certain the un-mentioned firewalls in the attached diagram has closed the port since a Wireshark capture pretty much confirms this - I do however want to rule out the L3 switch.

A change to TCP for port 5060 SIP signalling fixes the issue, but that is not the point.

What I want to confirm is - there is a layer 3 Aruba core switch between one end of the VPN connection and the PBX - I have a fair bit of expereience and knowledge with L2 switching for VoIP but not so much L3/Core - so this is my question:

Since the switch is layer 3 it has routing capabilities, but does it also have the means to block certain traffic types ? this guide here although outdated (Lync is pretty old now) suggests some sorts of ACL's are required: https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_63_Web_Help/Content/ArubaFrameStyles/Voice_Video/Extended_Voice_and_Video.htm

Any advise or even command line configuration would be appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Layer 3/core switches and traffic restrictions
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 10, 2020 08:59 AM

Yes, ACLs can be used to block traffic at layer 4 (port numbers). In addition, you can specific protocol (IP/TCP/UDP) along port number to be blocked.

The syntax will be something like:

ip access-list extended block_port
    deny tcp any any eq port#
    deny udp any any eq port#

Lets assume your VLAN of interest is 100 and you want to block all incoming traffic for a specific port on that VLAN:
    vlan 100 ip access-group block_port in