Wired Intelligent Edge (Campus Switching and Routing)

Reply
Frequent Contributor II

Lost SNMP to 5412 and 5406 switches following upgrade to AirWave 8.2.5

I just upgraded from AirWave 8.2.4 to 8.2.5. Since completeing the upgrade, I no longer have SNMP communication to our two HP chassis switches, a 5412 in the core and a 5406 at one of our schools. We are using SNMP v2c and, as far as I can tell, the community strings are correct. Our main monitoring tool, Solar Winds Orion, has not lost SNMP to these devices, only AirWave. Any idea what I could be overlooking?

 

Contributor II

Re: Lost SNMP to 5412 and 5406 switches following upgrade to AirWave 8.2.5

Hi, I have same problem with a fresh install of Airwave 8.2.5

 

5406 switch firmware version is 16.04.0009.

 

I have no problem with a bunch of 2930F but switch 5406 keep appearing down in Airwave.

 

Frequent Contributor II

Re: Lost SNMP to 5412 and 5406 switches following upgrade to AirWave 8.2.5

Hi, Marcos - we have an Aruba SE in our local area who took a look at this for us. He was able to correct it this way (quote from his e-mail to me) - 

 

I added this to the 5400r configs…

 

snmp-server response-source dst-ip-of-request

 

Once I did that, and had Airwave poll again, they came back up.

 

Here’s my theory – did ANY thing else change in terms of firewall, ACL, etc. that might have caused this? Did you upgrade the 5400 firmware?

 

I don’t think this is an Airwave issue as my SNMP test client on my laptop also had the same issues… What happened is that the response was coming back through another IP interface on the 5400r and never making it back to Airwave. <end quote>

 

We now have snmp communication with our 5400s restored. 

Just a couple of notes - in answer to the question, did we make any other changes, such as ACLs or firmware in the 5400s, the answer is no, we didn't - the only thing that changed was the AirWave version. Also, I thought that we still had SNMP to Solar Winds Orion during this problem, but further investigation showed I was wrong - the nodes showed as 'up' in Solar Winds because they were responding to ICMP requests, which Solar Winds uses to indicate up/down status; but Wireshark traces from the Solar Winds server to the switches showed that they were not responding to SNMP 'get' requests. 

 

I wasn't aware of this, but evidently AirWave also uses ICMP to poll for status, but unlike Solar Winds, if there's no response to SNMP messages, Airwave marks the node as 'down'. So to my eye, it looked like Airwave had no SNMP, but Solar Winds did, when, in fact, neither of them did.

 

In any case, the configuration change to the 5400 switches that's referenced in the above quote fixed the problem - I'm still not sure what broke it in the first place, whether we had that config and it changed or if we never had it before and it wasn't necessary in the previous code version of AirWave - all that is speculation at this point.

 

Hope this may help you out.

 

 

Contributor II

Re: Lost SNMP to 5412 and 5406 switches following upgrade to AirWave 8.2.5

Hi,

 

Thanks, it works for me. However there is no firewall or ACLs between switch and Airwave. This is a fresh installation of both, switches and Airwave.

 

Regards

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: