Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

MAS: VoIP Auto-Discovery Unreliable

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  MAS: VoIP Auto-Discovery Unreliable

Posted May 08, 2014 08:41 AM

Regarding auto-discovery mode on trusted ports, has anyone else found that it does not consistently place LLDP-MED capable phones in the voice VLAN?  When using Polycom Lync phones, we can't get them consistently assigned to the voice VLAN.  I gave up on auto-discovery mode and am having much more consistent VLAN assignment using static mode.

• 2.  RE: MAS: VoIP Auto-Discovery Unreliable

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 08, 2014 11:14 AM

Jay,

Auto-Discovery should only be enabled if using CDP phones or a mix of LLDP-MED and CDP phones. With only LLDP-MED phones, static (which is the default) would be the prefered method.

That said, can you give me more details on the Polycom LYNC phone, specifically model and firmware version? When the phone does not end up in the right vlan, what do the following outputs show?

show interface gigabitethernet <INTERFACE OF PHONE> switchport extensive

show neighbor-devices phones

Best regards,

Madani

• 3.  RE: MAS: VoIP Auto-Discovery Unreliable

Posted May 08, 2014 11:27 AM

Madani,

Although the documentation stated static was default, it seemed to me that auto-discovery was acceptable for LLDP-MED phones.  I don't remember the exact reason for setting up auto-discovery mode since we don't have CDP phones.

Polycom CX600

Firmware - 4.0.7577.4414

I switched all the phones to static last night.  I can put one back in auto-discovery mode and provide you with the output.

• 4.  RE: MAS: VoIP Auto-Discovery Unreliable

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 08, 2014 11:34 AM

Jay,

Auto-Discovery should work fine with LLDP-MED phones, I was just stating that the only reason to actually change it to that mode is if CDP phones are in the mix.

If you can get me the output at your conveniance of the failed state, that would be great. I'll also see if I can get my hands on one of these Polycoms.

Best regards,

M.

• 5.  RE: MAS: VoIP Auto-Discovery Unreliable

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 08, 2014 12:17 PM

Jay,

Can you also get "show lldp neighbor interface <INTERFACE OF PHONE> detail" when in the failed state?

Best regards,

M.