Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Mirror Aruba 2930F vs. CISCO

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  Mirror Aruba 2930F vs. CISCO

Posted Jul 09, 2019 04:24 AM

Hi all,

We are changing our access Cisco switchs to Aruba. Migrating the configs we have found  a problem. Actually on the access switchs (Cisco's):

Acces switch:

vlan 180
    name Voice
    !
    vlan 181
    remote-span

monitor session 1 source vlan 180
    monitor session 1 destination remote vlan 181

Then VLAN 181 travels to the Backbone (also a CSICO that actually won't be changed)

Backbone:

vlan 181
    remote-span

monitor session 1 destination interface Gi1/0/3
    monitor session 1 source remote vlan 181

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/3
    description XXXXXXXX
    switchport trunk native vlan 180
    end

The problem is that when I want to configure it in the new acces switch Aruba asks for a ip.

mirror  endpoint ip X.X.X.X 7922 X.X.X.X

or

mirror 1 remote ip....

Which IP is asking for? In the actual scenario it's just a VLAN replicating traffic to another VLAN that then goes to the Backbone. It's not a L3 with IP.

Is there any workarround to solve this avoinding to change configs in the backbone cisco switch?

Best regards,

Roger

• 2.  RE: Mirror Aruba 2930F vs. CISCO

MVP GURU
    Posted Jul 09, 2019 04:58 AM

Wrong post. Sorry (I mean: I initially gave a wrong answer so I erased it)

• 3.  RE: Mirror Aruba 2930F vs. CISCO

Posted Jul 09, 2019 06:43 AM

Hi,

Never mind. I'll wait if anybony knows one solution for this issue.

Best regards,

Roger

• 4.  RE: Mirror Aruba 2930F vs. CISCO

Posted Jul 09, 2019 02:51 PM

I'll be interested in hearing what the experienced members think of this question. Seems like you have been using network equipment in a very non-standard way.  Why don't you just put the hosts untagged on vlan 181?

• 5.  RE: Mirror Aruba 2930F vs. CISCO

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 09, 2019 05:21 PM

Greetings!

The remote mirroring feature on AOS-Switch utilizes Layer 3 routing to forward mirrored traffic using the HP Encapsulated Remote Mirroring (HP ERM) protocol to either another Aruba switch (to decapsulate the mirrored traffic before forwarding it to a local switch port) or directly to a capture station running Wireshark, which has a built-in HP ERM protocol plugin for decapsulating the packets directly.

If your goal is to simply mirror traffic from VLAN 181 to a local switch port (to be forwarded to the backbone), use these commands as a reference:

switch(config)# mirror 1 port 23
    switch(config)# vlan 181 monitor all both

Refer to this post for a more comprehensive guide to mirroring traffic (including configuration of remote mirroring) on AOS-Switch.

• 6.  RE: Mirror Aruba 2930F vs. CISCO

Posted Jul 10, 2019 04:38 AM

Hi all,

Many thabks for your quick support. We will try to change the point of view.

No Aruba mirror will be used and in the Backbone Cisco Switch we will filter per vlan L2 all the traffic coming from trunks with tag 180.

I will let you know how it goes.

Best regards,

Roger

• 7.  RE: Mirror Aruba 2930F vs. CISCO

Posted Jul 10, 2019 09:50 AM

I might be misunderstanding your use case. Your statement "in the Backbone Cisco Switch we will filter per vlan L2 all the traffic coming from trunks with tag 180" has me thinking. On the Aruba port configuration for the uplink to Cisco, if you simply make the Aruba configuration such that only vlan 180 is tagged on the port, then the Aruba will only send out and ingest tagged traffic that is in vlan 180, effectively filtering which traffic is on the port.