Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Mitel Phones Not Receiving DHCP Address from Aruba 3810M Switch

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Mitel Phones Not Receiving DHCP Address from Aruba 3810M Switch

Posted Aug 31, 2018 09:15 AM

I have one location where I am replacing several Cisco switches with several HP devices. I have one Layer3 device that is an HP/Aruba 3810M and three Layer2 Devices that are HP/Aruba 2530 - 24G 's. These switches are in a hub and spoke configuration and all of the 2530's are directly downstream of the 3810. Our Mitel phones that are connected to the downstream 2530's are pulling IP addresses and functioning properly meaning that I can make and recieve any internal or external phone calls. On the 3810, however, the mitel phones are failing to recieve an IP address. I found this reply by Harley@DSC on a different topic: 

If your switch supports vlans, and can be configured with a tagged and untagged vlan on an interface, it should be compatible with most or all IP Phones. 

Typically, the phone will either be configured manually to use the voice vlan, or will recieve (initially on the data vlan) an option from DHCP that will let it know what vlan it should start tagging things with. Once it starts tagging things with the voice vlan, the switch only needs to support vlan tagging.

One gotcha that I've found with Aruba switches is that by default when you enable LLDP the lldp tlv "network_policy" will be enabled. With that TLV enabled, and a "voice" vlan configured, a lot of phones will ignore what they get from DHCP in favor of what they get from there. That works fine, if you have configured it to hand out what they need, but if you prefer to use dhcp, make sure and use "no lldp config <port-range> medTlvEnable network_policy" (assuming that doesn't interfere with anything else)

but I am uncertain if this is my issue. I know LLDP to some degree LLDP is enabled by default, but I am not able to test this out immediatly, and I was hoping for a little more feedback before I try to tackle this task again. 

Thanks in advance for all the help you have and will continue to provide. You guys are awesome. 

Thanks, 

• 2.  RE: Mitel Phones Not Receiving DHCP Address from Aruba 3810M Switch

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 07, 2018 01:10 PM

Greetings!

Just to clarify the issue — are the phones not getting a DHCP address on the correct VLAN, or are they not getting an IP address at all?  It might help to share a sanitized version of the configuration in question to figure out if there's a VLAN configuration issue contributing to the problem.

With regards to LLDP on the switch — it is enabled by default on all switch ports.

• 3.  RE: Mitel Phones Not Receiving DHCP Address from Aruba 3810M Switch

Posted Sep 07, 2018 01:31 PM

The Phones are not getting an IP address at all. Phones that are connected to the L2 Swtiches that come off of the 3810 do get IP address, and they are getting IP addresses from the correct VLAN. It is also important to note that the DHCP server is on the same subnet that it is handing out IP address from, so I dont think an IP Helper Address should be necessary, but I am also from a primarily cisco background and new to HP configurations. I will include a fully scrubbed config. Working for a government entity, they dont like to give out any IP information over public media. I hope it helps. Please note: vlan 15 is the voice vlan, and port 23 on this switch is what is considered the "DHCP Server". Port 23 is untagged for vlan 15. 

; JL073A Configuration Editor; Created on release #KB.16.06.0006
    ; Ver #13:4f.f8.1c.fb.7f.bf.bb.ff.7c.59.fc.7b.ff.ff.fc.ff.ff.3f.ef:49

hostname "Simms-Metro-1"
    module 1 type jl073x
    flexible-module A type JL083A
    timesync sntp
    no telnet-server
    time daylight-time-rule continental-us-and-canada
    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 X.X.X.X
    ip routing
    interface 22
    name "MITEL_PAGING_UNIT"
    exit
    interface 23
    name "MITEL_3300"
    exit
    interface 24
    name "AT&T_SWITCHED_ETHERNET"
    speed-duplex 100-full
    exit
    interface A1
    name "SIMMS-AGM-1"
    exit
    interface A2
    name "SIMMS-WELCOME-CENTER"
    exit
    interface A3
    name "SIMMS-BACK-OFFICE"
    exit
    oobm
    ip address dhcp-bootp
    exit
    vlan 1
    name "DEFAULT_VLAN"
    no untagged 22-23
    untagged 1-21,A4
    tagged 24,A1-A3
    ip address X.X.X.X X.X.X.X
    exit
    vlan 15
    name "VLAN15"
    untagged 22-23
    tagged 1-21,24,A1-A3
    exit
    vlan 339
    name "VLAN339"
    tagged 24
    exit
    no tftp server
    no autorun
    no dhcp config-file-update
    no dhcp image-file-update
    password manager
    password operator

• 4.  RE: Mitel Phones Not Receiving DHCP Address from Aruba 3810M Switch
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 07, 2018 03:57 PM

One thing I noticed is the voice option is missing from VLAN 15; this option explicitly defines a voice VLAN and, if missing, phones may not attach to that VLAN when connected to the switch.

To enable, simply run the following command:

switch(config)# vlan 15 voice

• 5.  RE: Mitel Phones Not Receiving DHCP Address from Aruba 3810M Switch

Posted Sep 07, 2018 04:10 PM

I actually thought that command was there. Do you know explicityly what that command does? I actually thought it was a command that was intended for QOS reasons, and I did not realize it changed the way a device recieved its IP address. 

• 6.  RE: Mitel Phones Not Receiving DHCP Address from Aruba 3810M Switch

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 07, 2018 05:16 PM

The command instructs the switch to include the voice VLAN ID in the LLDP-MED TLV when a phone is connected to the switch on the appropriate port (either manually tagged, or assigned via another method such as device profile, AAA, etc), which allows the phone to discover and use that VLAN for VoIP traffic.

If no voice VLAN is designated, the VLAN ID in the TLV will not be populated, and the phone will not join the voice VLAN.