Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Mixed Link Aggregation Groups

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Mixed Link Aggregation Groups

Posted Jul 22, 2019 10:28 PM

Hi community.

I have 02 Aruba 8400 in a VSX deployment (let´s call them SWC01-Primary and SWC02-Secondary)
    I also have 01 Aruba 3810M switch (let´s call it SRV-SWITCH) that has an important server connected to it.

Port A1 on SRV-SWITCH is connected to port 1/9/32 on SWC01-Primary

SWC01-Primary has lag 40 multi-chassis with port 1/9/32 assigned to it. This port 1/9/32 has a 10GE-SR transceiver installed and working
    SWC02-Secondary has lag 40 multi-chassis with port 1/9/32 assigned to it. This port 1/9/32 has no transceiver installed.
    SRV-SWITCH has a "trk1" lacp group with ports A1 and A2 assigned. Only port A1 has a 10GE-SR transceiver installed and working, A2 has no transceiver installed.

Configurations on my switches are the following:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SWC01-Primary:

SWC01-Primary# sh int transceiver
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Port Type Product Serial Part
    Number Number Number
    1/9/32 SFP+SR J9150D CN93KJW7SD 1990-4635
    SWC01-Primary# sh running-config
    Current configuration:
    !
    interface lag 40 multi-chassis
    vsx-sync vlans
    description SRV-SWITCH
    no shutdown
    no routing
    vlan trunk native 1
    vlan trunk allowed all
    lacp mode active
    interface 1/9/32
    no shutdown
    lag 40

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SWC02-Secondary:

SWC02-Secondary# sh int transceiver
    Port Type Product Serial Part
    Number Number Number
    1/9/32 SFP+SR J9150D CN93KJX1SDK 1990-4635
    SWC02-Secondary# sh running-config
    Current configuration:
    !
    interface lag 40 multi-chassis
    vsx-sync vlans
    description SRV-SWITCH
    no shutdown
    no routing
    vlan trunk native 1
    vlan trunk allowed all
    lacp mode active
    interface 1/9/32
    no shutdown
    lag 40

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SRV-SWITCH:

SRV-SWITCH# sh running-config

Running configuration:

hostname "SRV-SWITCH"
    module 1 type jl074x
    module 2 type jl074y
    flexible-module A type JL083A
    trunk A1-A2 trk1 lacp
    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.100.1
    ip routing
    interface A1
    untagged vlan 1
    trunk trk1 lacp
    exit
    interface A2
    untagged vlan 1
    trunk trk1 lacp
    exit
    SRV-SWITCH> sh int transceiver

Transceiver Technical Information:

Product Serial Part
    Port Type Number Number Number
    ------- ----------- ------------ ------------------ ----------
    A1 SFP+SR J9150D CN93KJXJMZ 1990-4635

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For this deployment I want to release the 10GE-SR transceivers that belongs to both ends of the link between SWC01-Primary and SRV-SWITCH for another use, without disrrupting the server installed on the Aruba 3810 named "SRV-SWITCH".
    For this purpose, I want to use a 3m DAC cable (J9283D) and connect it to port A2 in SRV-SWITCH and port 1/9/32 on SWC02-Secondary.
    Questions:
    In this situation, will the interface "lag 40 multi-chassis" bundle port 1/9/32 on SWC01-Primary and port 1/9/32 on SWC02-Secondary to become a 20 Gbps virtual interface?
    In this situation, will the trunk "trk1 lacp" bundle port A1 and A2 on SRV-SWITCH to become a 20 Gbps virtual interface?
    Will a link aggregation group conformed by a 10GE-SR fiber optic link and a DAC cable link work correctly?

If this works, this will allow me to create a mixed link aggregation group (10GE-SR link + 10GE DAC cable), then replace the original 10GE-SR link with another 3m DAC cable (J9283D), releasing the 10GE-SR transceivers, all without disrrupting the server operation.

Have anybody deployed this kind of mixed link aggregation group?

Tnaks in advance for your support

• 2.  RE: Mixed Link Aggregation Groups
    Best Answer

MVP GURU
    Posted Jul 23, 2019 11:13 AM
    It should be OK...one essential requirement for setting up a VSX LAG (or, in general, a LAG) is to use physical interfaces with the same SPEED...so 10Gbps obtained via supported SFP+ Transceivers or obtained via supported DACs should be good enough to let you to have a (VSX/non-VSX) LAG up and connected between your Aruba 8400X VSX nodes and your Aruba 3810M.

• 3.  RE: Mixed Link Aggregation Groups

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 24, 2019 03:06 PM

This is correct. LACP is working above the MAC layer and only cares on speed and duplex. 

• 4.  RE: Mixed Link Aggregation Groups

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 21, 2019 05:12 PM

I used such mix media (same speed) a lot in the past, I saw no issue wih that.