Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

New to Aruba, Configuring new switch 3810M, CLI questions

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  New to Aruba, Configuring new switch 3810M, CLI questions

Posted Nov 05, 2019 06:04 PM

Hey there,

I am configuring a new switch, Aruba 3810M JL074A, and am trying to apply as closely as possible the config from the switch we are replacing, the HP procurve 5800.

All of my training is on Cisco, so I am having some difficulty trying to apply my knowledge of its CLI environment and commands, to HP and Aruba.

my main focus at the moment is to try and figure out the following:

How to set an interface to "port link-mode bridge" and "port link-type hybrid", or the equivalent setting from Aruba. I've googled for hours and get caught in a loop of non-answers and links to HP documentation and commands that arent compatible with our switch.

Thanks in advance for any help, and if I have left out any details that will be helpful in answering, just ask!

• 2.  RE: New to Aruba, Configuring new switch 3810M, CLI questions

Posted Nov 06, 2019 05:32 AM

For cisco admins: you can use a cli reference guide, to find out how you can configure certain tasks:

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c04793912

Please be aware that on ArubaOS switchports, you do NOT need to convert from switchport mode access to switchport mode trunk or hybrid, you simply just tag the vlans you need, or untag the vlan on the port you need allow as (untagged) access vlan, without converting the mode of a port, it is actually much easier this way!

• 3.  RE: New to Aruba, Configuring new switch 3810M, CLI questions

Posted Nov 06, 2019 08:45 AM

Thank you for the link to that document! I will be using it all day today. Will report back when Im finished.

• 4.  RE: New to Aruba, Configuring new switch 3810M, CLI questions

Posted Nov 06, 2019 01:59 PM

Thanks again for your help, and let me ask one more question elaborating on the tagged/untagged issue.

I have a port with this config from the Procurve 5800:

port link-mode bridge

port access vlan 31

poe enable

in order to configure that equivalent on my aruba 3810M I would enter the following:

vlan 31 untagged (port number)

power-over-ethernet

Is that it? from what I've read and from what you say, I think this would be correct, but the link-mode and differences between access/tagged/untagged etc... arent helping my confidence.

Thanks for the help!

• 5.  RE: New to Aruba, Configuring new switch 3810M, CLI questions

Posted Nov 06, 2019 02:07 PM
    Untagged vlan 31 will do the trick in your case. When you need to connect a voip phone in vlan 32 to the same port just add: tagged vlan 32

You can tag a vlan from the interface context. Or tag an interface from the vlan context, whatever works best in your situation.

Please be aware that the 5800 is not a procurve but a hpe comware (comware 5 i think) also named flexfabric. This is a complete other operating system then procurve/arubaos-sw

• 6.  RE: New to Aruba, Configuring new switch 3810M, CLI questions

Posted Nov 06, 2019 05:24 PM

good catch! Im fairly new with my company so I am just going off of what im being told about the switches etc... that I have yet to set eyes on.  Turns out the switch is an HP A5800 (renew) / Hanghzou H3 S5800.

The last 2 configs for a port im encountering confusion on is:

undo port hybrid vlan 1

port hybrid 31 tagged

port hybrid vlan 30 untagged

port hybrid pvid vlan 30

Am I understanding correctly, that on Aruba switches, the PVID cant be set? or, i dont need it as the equivalent would be:

vlan 30 untagged (port number)?

and, the other issue I am confused on is:

undo port hybrid vlan 1

I assume this can be ignored as we cant set hybrid mode etc... on the ports?

Thanks for all the help!

• 7.  RE: New to Aruba, Configuring new switch 3810M, CLI questions

Posted Nov 07, 2019 05:47 AM

Looks like your employer through you into the "deep end of the pool."

Do you know comware?  If so, what is the purpose of "undo port hybrid vlan 1" ?  Best guess without more details from you, ignore the 3810 need for "undo port hybrid" which is probably disabling that function on the 5800's.

What little I know about cisco os is  hpe-provision/aos-switch is easier to setup with basic operation but hpe is granularly/programmatically less powerful than cisco.  I am assuming you understand the cisco trunk vs the aos-switch tagging functionality.

You may also get more responses if you explain what you are trying to accomplish with the 3810.  Also, what is your 3810 firmware version?

P.S.  Welcome to the HPE world.  Your cisco background will help you as your new employer moves toward the new AOS-CX which is closer to cisco that the current 3810 (provision/aos-switch) OS.

• 8.  RE: New to Aruba, Configuring new switch 3810M, CLI questions

Posted Nov 11, 2019 09:09 AM

As its stands, I do not know comware.  All of my routing/switching knowledge is 100% Cisco based, and comes from schooling (just graduated, Associates Degree).  You are correct that I am familiar with Cisco Trunking. I have zero experience with AOS switch-tagging. That said, ive been researching the 'undo hybrid port 1', but havent been able to find anything that would be an "aruba equivalent" command, or anything that seems to help.

The goal with the Aruba 3810M is to replace our HP 5800, due to its age, and support agreements coming to an end. So I am doing my best to get the Aruba switch configured as ready as possible to swap over in place of the HP to, *crossing fingers*, have as few issues as possible.

The Primary firmware version running is kb 16.10.0001. Secondary is kb 16.04.0011. ROM is kb 16.01.0008.

thanks for your input!

• 9.  RE: New to Aruba, Configuring new switch 3810M, CLI questions

Posted Nov 11, 2019 09:36 AM

NOTE:  AOS-switch = (hp provision and hpe provision and hp procurve and hpe procurve)

Try understanding the complete dialogue at:

https://community.hpe.com/t5/Comware-Based/Hybrid-or-Trunk/td-p/2364669

If the above forum information does not help, what devices will be attached to the new 3810?